Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Front end wobble

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Overdose, Dec 14, 2008.

Overdose guest

I put on a pair of 18x8 tires on my 2003 530I and now at a low speed I feel a little tire wobble if I go thru some wash board on the road it gets a little worse any ideas ?;)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Tires are probably not balanced properly. Next thing to check is all the suspension bushings in the front, but tire balance is suspect number 1.

Louis guest

Also make sure the lug nuts/bolts are properly torqued.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Thanks. I can't believe I overlooked that. Do check that they are torqued to 89 ft-lb by first loosening them and then retightening them. I never trust tire shops because they use torque sticks or sometimes nothing.

m3v8driver guest

Well, we need more info. First, you say you put on 18x8 tires, but I think you mean wheels, and am I correct in assuming you put them on the rear? What size tires did you mount on the wheels? Are the wheels hub-centric? Is the offset compatible to what's on front? Did you up-size the tires? If so, they could be rubbing something, or an incorrect wheel offset could cause that to happen. Always torque lug nuts in a pattern like you were drawing a 5-point star, and make sure they're all torqued the same. Who mounted the tires and what method of balancing did the person use? Static? Dynamic? Could you have lost a wheel weight?