Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Euro smileys

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Dec 14, 2008.

eaglecomm guest

Botond... did you get them? Any updates on the quality?

az3579

I didn't get them yet. Once I get a bit of extra cash, I'm going to buy the set on eBay. They look OEM, only with glass lenses, so a bit clearer. Otherwise, I think I would have an enthusiast stumped.

It's only about $190 for both sides, brand new, with wires and everything needed to make it work. I've got the cash to buy it now, but I want to save up a few more hundred so I could have a nice cushion of cash leftover, just in case anything happens.

I will keep you updated. My current light output is OK, but that's as far as it goes. I think it isn't adjusted properly, but either way, the halos just don't look right in any kind of lighting other than sunset or dark. Pretty much useless. I'll let you know how the smiley light output is, though I don't expect it to be much better than my current halo/ellipsoid setup, though that's not why I'm getting it. I'm "Euro'izing" my car. :)

eaglecomm guest

K, I was looking for a set for my E34 and the same seller and basically the same lights I think and felt they looked halfway decent. I am not up for spending 500+ for hellas considering if these lasted even 4-5 years, then I could buy 3 sets for about the same price and be sure they'd last 15+ years. Plus mine are deteriorating fast and after just purchasing the car I am watching my funds too and think these will be fine for the near future. Plus I wanted to add HID later and that will add additional cost if I can afford it. :) I have heard good and bad about Depo, so we will see.

eam3

No experience with the smiley headlights but if they're anything like the H4/H1 kits out there, there could be a big difference in lighting quality. On my old 325is, I replaced the sealed beams with some H4/H1s from JC Whitney. I figured if I used quality bulbs, it would be a huge improvement over the sealed beams. They were better but not by much. After a month or so, I decided to bite the bullet and buy Hella lenses. What a difference! The Hella light pattern was crisper and did a much better job at lighting the road ahead. Lesson learned. When I replaced the lights on my 733i, I immediately went with Hellas and never regretted spending the extra dough (which admittedly in this case was only about a $100 difference, not the huge difference in the case of the smileys).