Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Fuel Filler Compatibility

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by 123779, Dec 12, 2008.

Hi Fellow 02ers,

Filling my gas tank, with the modern (California) gas station nozzles, is a pain. The fill nozzle will either prematurely shut off, or spill gas on my car. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Dave
    73' tii

acmeradio guest

Ha ha ha!! I feel your pain. Common problem. Some people rotate the nozzle upside down almost (between the 10-12 o'clock position). That has seemed to work. I've had good luck just jamming the nozzle in as far as I can get it. I'm sure you guys have those rubber surrounds on your nozzles too. Shove it until it starts to fold back. The issue is the modern high pressure pumps stations use now. In 1973...they were a little more low tech. :) Ding-ding-ding-ding. Ha!

Hope that helps.

Bimmerdan

Yep, same problem here. I can't remember the last time I got gas in the '02 and didn't end up spilling some. Sometimes I can actually hear the gas as it's getting closer to the top of the tank so I'm ready for it but it almost always gets there before I can react in time.

Wow...I actually remember the "ding-ding-ding" days when they had rotating number wheels as opposed to the digital LCD readouts...and no credit card reader slots on the pumps...and they would pump the gas for you...and check your tires and your oil and your wiper blades... Holy crap am I old!!!