Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Chrome window trim replacement?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by JCampbell, Dec 11, 2008.

JCampbell

Does anyone have any tips or pointers on replacing the chrome trim around the windshield and rear glass?
    Does it just pry off? I didn't see any attachment pieces listed on RealOem
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

The little corner pieces just pry off but that ugly rusty stuff is the lock strip and it is a PITA to replace without the correct tool. You can get the black trim if you order the part for the later 325i.

JCampbell

Thanks for the tip. Can you point me towards the tool? Bimmerworld maybe?

mooseheadm5

I think BMP carries it. It is called a windshield lock strip tool. You could do it with a couple of little screwdrivers and lots of time, but it is no fun and it is easy to scratch the trim or paint.

JCampbell

Is this what I'm looking for?
    [IMG]

I pulled this from BavAuto's website.

Thanks for your help.

mooseheadm5

yup, that's the one

az3579

What about reinstallation? Would you need a special tool for that?

mooseheadm5

Actually, you only really need the tool for installation. If you just want to pry it out with a screwdriver, you can, but it is difficult to put back in because it is a lock strip that is slightly larger than the opening it presses through (so that it locks the window in the seal.)
    BTW, I would bet that spray silicone lube would greatly aid in reinstalltion, and it evaporates without damaging your rubber.

az3579

And how much is the tool? What's the part#? I can't find it on realoem...

mooseheadm5

Check bav auto. Special tools aren't listed on realoem.

az3579

I just checked BavAuto and the description says it's for window gaskets and the like. I found another took that looks like it might be more for the window trim removal:

[IMG]

Eh? And the description says it's for removing door and window trim, emblems, etc.
    Is this a better option?

JCampbell

No, those are mainly for interior trim pieces.
    From what I understand the trim just pulls out. The tool is to spread the rubber gasket so that the trim can be pushed in.

mooseheadm5

Those plastic wedges are great for body trim, door panels, etc, but you need the one J found in order to install the windshield lock strip.

granthr

This is the correct tool. I have one and have used it. It took some practice to get the hang of it. I have a couple suggestions. Pulling out the old stripe is easy. I would suggest practicing on the old stripe a little first. I say this because you can damage the new stripe with the tool if you are not careful. Second it is really a whole lot easier to this job on a hot day. The rubber is all soft and really pliable and makes it just that much easier. Sorry it is now December, unless you are in the south.

Also you will need to stretch or compress the stripe as you go along. If you get to the end and have too little or too much, don't worry. Undo about half and start again, either pulling to stretch or pushing on the stripe on compress it so you have the right amount at the end. This job will take patience, so be deliberate about it and don't rush it. Put some nice music on, maybe a beer, but not four! :D It just won't turn out right if you do that!

Good Luck.

GR

JCampbell

It's 4 degrees here today but I don't even have the car yet so it's something I can put off until it's nice out, or turn up the heat in the garage. : )
    Four beers might be OK...as long as I don't have 4 Spaten Optimators. :E

Thanks for the tips GR!

granthr

I think if you can wait till a nice day you will be much happier. I did my front window twice and nailed the rear on basically the first try. In retrospect, start on the rear, doing the lower piece first. That way you have less to redo as you learn how to work the tool and stripe. You will be fine! :D

GR