Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 changing a head

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by BMBlackmon, Dec 10, 2008.

BMBlackmon guest

Am I able to put a head from a E30 325is to a E30 325 and it work right or would it make more problems than its worth.

Brian M. Blackmon
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Is your cylinder head damaged or worn out? Yes, you can do this. You will lower the compression when you do this, but you will gain larger ports and valves. I recommend that you also install the 325i intake, because it matches the ports, unless you already have a 1988 325. If you already have a 1988 "super eta" engine, then the head is the same except for the camshaft and valve springs, so the intake will match the ports. What year is your car?

garageboy

Brand New Factory Head available - cheap!

A few years ago, I had to replace the cracked head on my 528e (2/87 prod. - same engine as your E30). The dealer sent me the "i" head and not the "e" head. The good news is that I was so busy back then I never got around to sending it back.

So I have the head, and the original receipt for it. It has been "sealed" and in a box all this time - I can send pics and a scan of the invoice if you're interested in taking it off my hands. Since it is new, I would like to get a good chunk of my money back yet still make sure you feel like you've gotten a good deal on a quality factory part.

But as our learned colleague pointed out, the intake ports are different so there will be additional parts that you will need to replace to accommodate it. But it's been done before.

Good luck.
    .steve.
    Steve Bernstein
    Newsletter Editor, Die Zugspitze
    New York Chapter, BMW CCA
    2001 525i 5-spd
    1987 528e 5-spd
    1983 528e 5-spd
    Clearly, I never learned how to drive an automatic...