Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

AM Radio Reception

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by finmanjim, Dec 8, 2008.

finmanjim guest

I have a 2003 325i with shark fin antenna. The AM radio reception is terrible, I'd have to be parked outside of the radio station for decent reception. No problem with FM.

Any suggestions on how to boost the power of the antenna to get AM reception? Sirius or other products would not work as I wish to receive my local AM stations.

Thanks.

Jim

naalesi guest

Try hitting the AM button a couple of times. I've noticed with mine that the radio can cycle between AM and AMA when hitting the AM button. When I am in AMA, the reception sucks, but the radio works fine under AM alone.

Jeron guest

Tinted windows?

The location of the AM antenna within the car causes AM reception to suffer with tinted windows,

johnh

The AM and FM antenna are on the rear window, fyi, not in the shark fin.

finmanjim guest

No discernable difference between AM and AMA mode.

Jim

finmanjim guest

Jeron,

No tinting on the windows.

Thanks.

Jim

Jeron guest

AM reception is generally poor. Start by checking the connections and continuity at the radio, in the drivers C pillar and to the window antenna.

AM Reception

I had a similar problem with my 2002 330xi. The senior BMW tech said he compared my AM reception with other BMW's and there was no problem. I argued with him and made him listen to the radio. He researched it an found a service notice regarding poor AM radio reception. They replaced the radio with a newer version and that solved the problem.