Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Winterizing E36 M3 for storage

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by crackerjack97, Nov 27, 2008.

crackerjack97 guest

i have a '97 m3 and am winterizing it to be stored for the winter, outside but covered. I washed and waxed it and pulled the battery. Was wondering if i should use fuel stabilizer that prevents the fuel from going bad, or a type of fuel line antifreeze? Also, any other suggestions on other things i should do?

DaHose guest

I see a lot of guys with harsh winters talk about using Sta-Bil in the tank, spraying some oil through the plug holes, jacking up to take weight off the tires (reduce chance of flat spots) and throwing an open bag of charcoal inside to keep it from smelling funky.

Jose

BIMMIR guest

You should fill the gas tank, to minimize air space in the tank during storage. This minimizes condensation. Next, yes, add sta-bil fuel stabilizer. Actually, put the stablizer in before or during the fill up, so it's mixed in well. Let the car run for about 10 minutes. This way the stabilizer is not just in the gas tank but worked into the fuel lines, and engine. I usually put in some drygas as well.
    You've already mentioned taking the battery out. I also bought a thing that plugs into the cig lighter and has a 9 volt battery. This keeps all your presets in your radio, and probably keeps all your computer settings, seat memory, etc. in place.
    If you are storing the car outside, I'd suggest doing something so the tires are not just on the ground. You could jack it up and leave it on jackstands, but I'd be scared of the stands sinking in to the ground unevenly and not having the car secure. At the very least, I'd put down some boards large enough that the tires are not hanging over them. You could jack your car up and put the boards under the tires, or place the boards strategically and drive up onto them at the same time on all fours. If you do this, just be careful. Depending on the length of the boards and the softness of the ground, the other end of the board could pop up and hit your car when you drive onto them. You might consider adding some extra air to the tires if they'll be supporting the car outside in the cold all winter.
    You know, the bad thing about storing a car is that you will miss it all winter. The good thing is that it's almost like getting a new car every Spring!

Good Luck and enjoy.

BIMMIR guest

One more thing...
    I usually close up any openings with duct tape or something. Openings like the tailpipe and the open inlet that direct air to the air filter. (Mice)
    You might even put some traps or decon on the ground to keep mice away. Hard to do if you get snow where you are, it will soon be covered. I usually spread moth balls around the garage floor, they don't like this either. There are many stories and posts about mice that have gotten into cars and caused thousands in damage by chewing wires. If your car is outside, these little guys will be looking or a olace to bed down undercover for the winter.

M3Driver guest

I have to agree with BEEMRR on the battery issue. To take that idea a step further, Instead of pulling the battery, given all the electronics on cars these days, I've heard of most people putting a trickle charger on the battery. "Battery Tender" is the one name I've always heard. BMW makes one as well you can get at the dealer parts store.

Courtesy of our friends at Bavarian Autosport.....
    http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?pa...ampaign=googlebase&utm_source=82 11 0 026 663