Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The first

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by ltfadl, Mar 14, 2008.

ltfadl guest

I would like to be the first member to post here, although i know how the pure N/A bmw is the best in the world but, I just cannot live without that boost behind this great vehicle, here are some posts of my project car, I also work at a shop and we are building a stage 3 e 36 m3 it should be a monster.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Turb02 guest

I too have a turbo project in the mix. Mine is a little older, 1975 BMW 2002, that iwill be hoping to get around 300 whp out of. Its getting a full engine rebuild and using a Holset HX35 turbo off a 2002 Ram desiel. Should be a blast to drive!!

Arash2002tii guest

What engine mods need to be done in order for that? And what do you think the total price would be at the end? It sounded cool and I am just curious to know.

Turb02 guest

So far what I have spent is:

Turbo (used w/90K miles) 525
    SDS engine management 825
    SS valves (oversized), 292 cam, titanium retainers, double springs, race prepped rockers, rocker locks, oversized eccentrics, valves(new style) and guides, adjustable cam gear... everything but new rocker arms for the head.~1200

What I need to buy

For the bottom end and other parts associated with the build:
    Bore to 90.5 ?
    Balance crank ?
    Polish crank ?
    PnP head ?
    ARP hardware everywhere ?
    Oversized forged pistons $595.00
    MLS head Gasket $145.00
    Main Bearings-Race $110.00
    Rod bolts and nuts $51.00
    Rear Main Seal and gaskets ?
    Timing Chain $56.00
    Chain Rail $7.00
    Mechanical Chain Tensioner $55.00
    Chain Tensioner Rail $38.00
    Oil Pump $168.00
    Oil Pump Sprocket and chain $34.75
    Rod Bearings $33.00
    Water Pump $49.00
    5 speed tranny swap 245 $500.00
    228 mm clutch kit and flywheel $355.00
    3.64 LSD from E21 $200.00
    Turbo exhaust mani and exhaust work ?
    intercooler and plumbing ?
    BOV ?
    Wastegate ?

This, as you can see doesnt have any of the suspension mods and brake upgrades I plan on doing. That alone will be around 3500

I have it broken into an estimated price breakdown like this:

Suspension and all new bushings -$2100

Brakes (BBK and rear disc conversion, new brake lines, master cylinder, etc..) -$1700

Bodywork (a few rust spots to fix none of which are visible when looking at the car, removing all the belt trim and rain gutter trim, color change) -$1500

Drive train (5 spd tranny and lsd) including fuel system (replace all fuel lines, fuel cell, pump, etc) -$3500

Wheels & tires -$900

This last section is a rough guesstimate and the total price is ~$10K

I am in the process of getting my wife to loosen the reigns on my project budget so I can get the motor built and have this thing tuned and running by the fall. Once that is complete, I will get the brakes an start on the suspension over the winter, then the body work.

Turb02 guest

Hope this helps with the project perspective.

az3579

That looks like a DOHC engine; are you putting that in the E30 or are those E30 pics just thrown in for good measure? :)

Or is all this for the M3?

ltfadl guest

If you are speaking of the motor that is in the photos, it is a m20 single cam and its going in a e30 325 body.

az3579

My bad. Didn't have my glasses on. :D