Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e36 heating trouble

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by jersey325i, Nov 21, 2008.

jersey325i guest

I have a 1995 4dr 325i and my heat seems to be lacking. It comes out at a decent pressure but its only tempered on the passenger side, my driver side just blows out cool air. please help

Jeron guest

Could be a stuck heater valve. You can try tapping on it with a wrench to see if it frees up.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

This is often aused by a failed heater valve. The heater valves on these are supposed to fail open, but in certain circumstances can stick or can fail in a way that the valve is pushed closed by the coolant flow. I have seen them gummed up with stop leak or eroded by lack of coolant changes. You can feel the two hoses coming out of the valve and see if one is hotter than the other, then try Jeron's suggestion and see if it gets better. If not, replace the valve and flush and replace the coolant.

jersey325i guest

could it be my thermostat?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Not if you get heat from one side and not the other and the temp gauge shows that the car has warmed up (nearly straight up needle.)