Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 hood badge replacement

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by George Kages, Nov 18, 2008.

George Kages guest

How difficult is it to replace a hood badge on a Z3? It seems that all there is to it is to pull off the old one, put on the new one and put on the grommets. Am I missing anything?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You got it. Use an old credit card to pry it up a bit, then use a small screwdriver between the emblem and card to get it all the way off. I think the grommets go on from the outside before the badge, but not sure on the Z3.

George Kages guest

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

BMWtoyz guest

Usually they are held on with the two grommets and a small dab of putty in the center. I have used dental floss as well to get them off. Clean the area real good and use new grommets. And yes they are applied first from the outside.
    • Staff

steven s

I've replaced Roundels numerous times. Never saw any putty.
    Dental floss is generally used to remove badges.

Don't know how the Z3 is, but I've pulled away the underneath insulation and pushed the Roundel out to give me some room. I've used cardboard and a small screw driver and still managed to scratch it. Oh well.

BMWtoyz guest

You cannot get to the Roundel from under the hood, on both my roadsters there was a small dab of putty that help hold the Roundel in. I never replaced it though and they are both fine.

George Kages guest

Thanks to everyone for the help- I think I'm well coached in my first attempt at BMW repair!

Bimmerdan

I've never seen any putty under of the ones I've replaced either? Just be careful and patient and you'll be fine getting the old one off.

Hey Steven S...I like the new avatar...is that a statement as to how your day is going?
    • Staff

steven s

Some days. I'm a Mac guy working in a PC world. :D

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Putty

My M5 had the putty on both the front and back Roundel. I also noticed that they were nice heavy metal units and the replacements were cheap feeling plastic right from the dealer. Rubber grommets on all the ones I have seen. Agree, dental floss, doubled a few times is the best option for NOT scratching or denting anything. I also found that rocking one side at a time helps a bit as well. Don't forget to clean and wax under there before sticking the new one on. BTW, I removed the putty from the old one and stuck in under the new ones just for good measure!!!

BMWtoyz guest

Yea, thanks I knew I was not crazy!