Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

HELP!!! ive been trying to figure this out for 14 hrs today!

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 00BMW323CI, Nov 17, 2008.

00BMW323CI guest

ok here it is...i have a 92 318i with the m42 4 cylinder motor the car was running great other then a leaking head gasket. i changed the head gasket made sure everything was top dead center. put everything back together but when i put the chain back on i believe i screwed something up (maybe), anyways...i finished putting everything back together and went to start the car and it is very loud. this happened before but not as bad when my camshaft pulley was loose. so ive taken everything off and tried to time it again and made sure everything is lined up and it is still making the same noise and the plugs are fouled (black). could it be the hyrdraulic tensioner that has to build up before it smoothens out? although that won't help the fouled plugs... PLEASE HELP!!!:confused::eek:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yes, the tensioner needs to build up pressure. Do not start it again, though. Replace the tensioner with the updated version now! The old style can destroy your head. I am assuming you have checked all your timing marks and that you used the proper cam alignment tools, yes?
    I bet you fired it up and shut it off a few times because of the noise, right? That could easliy foul the plugs.

00BMW323CI guest

the tensioner that was in worked before i changed the head gasket, but i did replace it w/ another one that i had from a newer motor. is there a different tensioner that i could use like one from a newer car? after putting in the new one it is still making the noise but is not as loud, i ran it for about 5 min but still hasn't gone away, i put the stethoscope to the motor and it sounds like most of the noise is coming from the chain area. i stopped working on it yesterday after a gas hose came lose and spit gas in my eye. do you have a part number for the new tensioner? thanx for the help!!!

GNG623 guest

The part # listed is 11-31-1-743-187. If you e-mail me the last 7 of your vin# we can be sure of the part #

GNG623 guest

The part # listed is 11-31-1-743-187. If you e-mail me the last 7 of your vin# we can be sure of the part #