Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Fuel Economy Gage

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Odiekokee, Nov 14, 2008.

Odiekokee

Does anyone know what this gage gauges by? Is it vacuum or PWM or something else I haven't thought of?

Thanks all,
    Byron
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Based on the ECUs calculation of instantaneous fuel consumption from pulse width and the set fuel pressure/injector flow rate, which directly translates to fuel economy when compared to current speed. Changes to the fuel pressure or injectors will change the actual flow rates for a given pulse width, so it is only mostly accurate. I find it to be a pretty good indicator, but the OBC is better.

Odiekokee

Cool. Now if only my OBC worked. The lights are out and I seriously wonder if any of it is hooked up...
    Ohh well. one more thing to fix.

mooseheadm5

If you look at it in bright sunlight and can see the time faintly or anything resembling a display, it works but just needs a light bar. I didn't even pay for a light bar, I just soldered LEDs with resistors into mine. These are a PITA to get to, though.

Elkoholic

Second that...just did it over the summer...

Brian A

mooseheadm5

I also trim a little of the plastic around the OBC holder so that I can now replace the light bar whenever I want without having to pull the whole thing apart.

Chris Brown

OBC Surprise

Hi all,
    It seems we are where I left off in late spring. (busy summer-forgive me) I ordered the light bar from bavarian and it came with very good instal instructions and far simpler instructions then my Bently book, Anyway in a half hour I had the bar in and It All Worked! That really impressed me that a 16 year old convert with 160k on it...That the puter still worked!. I spent an hour programing it and there are a few of the operations I don't quite understand what the heck they do. Another cool thing, is you can view the different functions when driving from just giving the left stalk a tap inward. Plus it reminds me when its freezing out with a chime and a read out of the temp. Now the gas milage, It shows that I avg around 22mpg which is a little depressing.(is that what you guys get?) I just put the car into the garage to tinker over another winter, We get plenty of snow here too, I'll stick to the 4by till spring.
    cbinspok

mooseheadm5

Not bad mileage for mixed driving. Year? 18 or 25? Auto or manual? Short trips or highway? Some convertibles had pretty short gearing, so the mileage suffered a little.

Chris Brown

mpg & winter projects

1990 325i. ix diff 3.97 (i think) 5 speed, runs well but will be replacing many of the engine hoses as several are getting stiff. I would like to powed coat the valve cover also- its not looking to good, -You think that would look good or should I just clean it up and replace the dripping gasket?

cbinspok

John in VA

Credit Chip Baines for this great OBC tutorial. You'll find the info in your owner's manual as well! ;)

http://www.geocities.com/ebaines/e28_obc.htm