Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sequence to auto lock doors?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by svartorn, Nov 11, 2008.

svartorn

Owners manual says there is a way to program the doors to automatically lock when you start driving, but it suggests you go to the dealer for it. I was wondering if any of you knew this sequence to program.

Thanks.

Louis guest

Unfortunately, the first step in the process is to connect to the diagnostic computer at the dealer. The auto door lock setting (yes or no) is set for each key in the onboard computer. There are other functions that can be set and the dealer can give you a sheet with the settings that are selectable by the owner; but all must be set by the dealer. If you are going to go to the dealer to have the auto lock function turned on (it will lock the doors when you get to about 15 MPH) you might as well go through the list and see if there is anything else you want changed. There should be only one charge to cover all changes; they're done at the same time.

In addition to the door auto lock there are settings for alarm (engage - flash lights and/or chirp and the same choices for disarm), daytime running lights (yes/no), whether the one-touch will open and/or close a window (settable for each front or the rear windows), the length of time the headlights will stay on after shutting the car (when the 'home light' feature is used), whether the seat memory moves the seat when you unlock the car or when you open the door, prior heating/a/c settings are set for the car or each key.

Some of the functions are set for the car, others are set for each key.

svartorn

Thanks for all the information!

Any rough guess as to the cost? I'll have to stop by the dealer next time I'm near one. I actually live about 100 miles from the closest BMW dealer haha

Louis guest

The charge is set by each dealer, but inasmuch as the whole process can be done in 15 minutes the most you should expect to pay is one hour at whatever the hourly shop rate is for the particular dealer. Also, the features and settings that can be selected by the customer weren't the same for all years. It might be worth a call to a dealer and have them fax or email the selection sheets to you so you can see what's available for your particular car. BTW, the functions and features are determined by the build date (month/year) on the label on the door frame of the driver's door.

It may also be possible to find an independent shop near you that has the proper computer equipment. You might try http://www.bimrs.org. It's a collection of independent shops around the country that work together on training, problem solving, etc. for BMWs. It would be worth some phone calls or you can check with your local BMW CCA chapter for recommendations.

Good luck.