Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 Tire Wear

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by cavallino328, Nov 10, 2008.

cavallino328 guest

Do your tires wear on the inside way before the outside? I have had my suspension inspected and looked for answers online. What is the answer!!

BMWtoyz guest

I would not say "way before the outside", but yes due to negative camber the inside wears faster. Has the car been lowered any or is it stock?

cavallino328 guest

98 z3 2.8 Tire wear

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

The car is not lowered.

Front Tires 225 45 17
    Rear Tires 245 40 17

Both the front and rear tires wear in this manner.

Cheers

BMWtoyz guest

Standard M roadster sizes, and you are going to get some inside wear due to the negative camber even in the fronts. You could have it checked in case it is out of spec.

cavallino328 guest

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I was told that offset bushings will help in the front?

Does the whole negative amcber thing have an upside?

Cheers

Fin
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It is not just for styling, it is for handling. You can decrease the camber on the front pretty easily with some camber correcting bolts (very cheap eccentric bolts for the bottom of the struts,) but the rear is a different story. If you are a performance driver, you may just have to live with it. You could swap tires from left to right (dismount them from the wheels) to help them wear more evenly. If you are not a performance driver, then go with more narrow tires. This helps somewhat. But then, if you are not a performance driver, why not trade it for a Z3 1.9? Better mileage, less weight. But I digress. If you do not drive that fast, and are very concerned about tire wear, you can also sell your wheels and get some very nice 16" rims. This is a great compromise between handling, styling, comfort, and tire wear. I have 16s on wifey's 325ti, and am very pleased. You can go with 225/50/16 all around. I don't think I would like 17s on her car (with M suspension, it is pretty stiff already.)

BMWtoyz guest

My 2.8 came with the 17's it was an upgrade option and I never had a problem with them, yes they wore on the insides, but than again I drive my car, sometimes to the limits (usually on a track, and the trip to Montana in the late 90's before the speed limits were restricted). I just had my fronts dismounted, as Paul said above, and remounted so that I could use them a while longer. It is not that expensive so I just live with it, the handling is worth it!

cavallino328 guest

Tire wear, thanks for your replies

Hello,

Thanks for all the input.

I try to break my car every time I drive it so I guess I will just have to get used to buying tires!!

Cheers

Fin