Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

To 335 or not to 335, that is the (serous) question!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Reef, Nov 9, 2008.

az3579

Well, I am biased, but after recent events, I had a couple of people I know have their trannies just cease to function. Guess what; they were automatics.

I also read about a couple of nasty things with some newer GM automatics... I don't know what BMW uses now for their autos, but frankly couldn't care. :p

Babydoc168

Auto tranny

The ATs in the non-turbos are GM sourced. The auto in the 335i, I believe is ZF sourced.

We will see. I've had 3 automatic BMWs. The first were sold before 25k miles. I have one now which has 44k miles on it. We will see. I learned to drive a manual recently. So, when it comes time to sell this one, I will order a manual (provided they don't stop offering them in this country).

az3579

If they were to stop selling manuals, my loyalty to BMW would immediately end.
    And I mean immediately.

Or if they produce a minivan/pickup truck, I would seriously consider it ending as well.

WesTex335

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, I am new to BMW, but sine the early 1960s I have had consideralble experience with GM automatic transmissions. Out of a dozen cars I have had trouble with only one (2002 Yukon). That includes several that have gone over 100,000 miles. For all the things to fault GM with, I don't think aurtomatic transmisions are one of them.

By the way, I plan to get a manual transmission on my BMW.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

How did we get to transmissions?!

If you look at the innards of the latest eight-speed automatic---I think it's ZF---you'll see similarities to the double-clutch "manual." As one BMW engineer remarked recently, the torque converter locks up so soon in the automatic that it's virtually a manual from that point anyway.

But while the technology of automatics (and SMGs, and double-clutch manuals) has come so far that the X6 M comes only with an automatic (with launch control!), there are still gremlins lurking in the controls. I recently beat up on a poor X3, using "manual" first (six-speed automatic) instead of Hill Descent Control, and got it so rattled it would no longer upshift manually; I had to bang it over into Drive and back to get it to respond.

They're brilliant in their design, but I don't think their designers have considered every possible way to abuse them!

cruise_bone guest

I drove both and am going with the 328.

Joeb427 guest

No doubt the extra cost or fear of the fuel pump problem.
    Enjoy the 328.It's a great car.

cruise_bone guest

I admit the 335 was never on the radar because of the fuel pump. I am purchasing and planning to keep the car well beyond warranty.

It wasn't the cost of the car per se, as my choice came down to the 328 vs the M3. I tried to add a $5K paint job to the 328 but my techno violet request was denied by BMWNA! Even though I know Techno is on at least one 3er. I've seen and corresponded with someone in the UK who has Techno but it's on a 335, so maybe that's the issue. Business must be good if they are turning down that much cash.

I don't track cars and couldn't justify getting an M3 and not using hardly any of it's potential. It would have been very impractical and a waste. The ED cost of a stripper M3 (which is what I was leaning toward) was less than some are paying for a loaded 335i and what some people are paying for US delivered 328 verts, so it wasn't a huge issue. In fact the difference between what I ordered (had my paint been approved) and the M3 I was considering was only about another $5K. It was more the guilt. I couldn't deal with having a beast like that and keeping it caged with mostly city driving.

I don't know how/why people buy M3s when they live in big cities. I tried and just couldn't pull the trigger.

I'm getting a 6MT with the 328 so it's sure to be plenty of fun to drive for me. I've enjoyed all the BMWs I've test driven, including the new Z4 (my mother did not appreciate the way I tested that one!), M3, 335, and 135. I would be happy with any of them but most frustrated with the M3.

az3579

I've reached the crossroads as well. Looking into buying either a 328i or a 335i, but I am completely torn. Either I get a 328i with all the options I want (need, I should say) or buy a very basic 335i. The 335i's base price is about 6 grand more than the 328i; that is astronomical because the second I add an option to the 335i then it gets over $50k. Sports package is an absolute must on whatever car I get, so I don't even consider it an option as opposed to a requirement. But, what I really want is the M-Sport package, but it's over a grand more, and the interior color I want only comes in leather, which is another cost.

If I buy, it would definitely be to keep, and would end up still paying it off after 7 years (I would have to refinance the balloon payment as I would choose BMW Select payment option). As a result of wanting to keep it, I want to be happy with it, not just to have it be reliable. This is why I am even having to make a choice between the 335i and 328i, because if it wasn't for the fuel pump issues and price issues, then there would be no competition and I'd go straight for the 335i.

The 335i would be ideal because it's faaaaaaaaaast! This helps on the track (it would see occasional track usage and autocross usage) and it wouldn't be a pain to merge with traffic. This is an issue because I recently merged with traffic and had to get into the left lane and had to go through the unbearable shame of having a minivan slow down because I couldn't accelerate fast enough. I don't want to go through that again!

On the other hand, the 328i is much cheaper, and I'd be able to get all of my wanted options for the price of a basic 335i. It would probably be more reliable as well, because these don't have turbos to go bad or have the high-performance fuel pump issue the 335i's [still] have.

So, unfortunately it's a matter of having to cough up the extra cash if I really want what I *think* I'd be happy with. Or, maybe I'll win it in the raffle... *crosses fingers*

:(

joeincs guest

Go for the 335d, fast, fun and last forever!

Joeb427 guest

Any BMW owner should opt for an extended warranty.Especially the 335 which has a lot of technical extra components on the 3.0L.The fuel pump has a 10/120 on the '07s and '08.No doubt soon to be on the '09s as their failing too.It is a great car to drive,though.
    No doubt a 328 is a mechanically safer and less costly choice.It's a great car but I took that damn test drive in a 335.
    BMWs are not high on any reliability lists.
    As far as the diesel...
    That car will have it's problems with the turbos and if it's kept forever or 250+K ,the engine may last but other major components will have to be replaced and BMWs are very expensive when it comes to parts and repairs..

LOPHAT2

335i vs. 328; what a dilemma! Have you researched Dinan upgrades for the 328? The turbos are the one aspect that has me hesitant to pull the trigger on the 335i also. I'd like to think that BMW would not have went the turbo route w/o extensive research. If the 335 has a supercharger I wouldn't hesitate. The mere fact that you mentioned, when talking about the 335i, that it is so "faaaaaa...st" that speed is a priority that If you get the 328 chances are that you'll regret not purchasing the 335i later.

My previous BMW, 2006 330i, was a very nice vehicle but the 06 M3 with SMG is a completely different vehicle. After driving the M3, I've driven a twin-turbo 335i, it's really difficult to go back. IT IS A MONSTER! If I can find a 2006 with competition package and SMG I will purchase and add the stage 2 Dinan package. I feel I'll be happy; if I can't then I have the same dilemma but it's the 335i or 2010 M3.

BTW...

Regarding options that you want; make sure you shop around. I built 335i, special order, with virtually all of the options to include M-Pkg; Steptronic; window shades; I-drive; satellite; Integrated phone; active steering; tax, title and license; etc., and I have a deal at $53.4K (total) vs. $57K MSRP.

Joeb427 guest

It's hard to explain.I'm not a speeder or racer.I just love the feel of the car when passing or pulling on to a highway.Or just going from 40 to 70 MPH in a few seconds by just touching the pedal.
    The car with the pull it has even when just pushing the accelerator down a bit is intoxicating.I haven't even floored the car yet because I only have a few hundred miles on her.
    That feel and the handling and the car is what a BMW should be and makes it,the ultimate driving machine.
    Is that enough for one to put up with a pssible fuel pump failure or high cost over a 328?
    To me,it is.
    The fuel pump will rarely strand you and in most cases you go into limp drive which many on the other forums say can get you to a dealer and at highway speeds.The car just feels like it's running on say 4 cylinders.There's guy that have drove over 200 miles in limp mode.There are 3 types of limp modes.
    Someone just posted this on another forum.

"Yes, there are different stages of limp mode. A HPFP failure is usually accompanied by the SES alert and the Reduced Power indication. Wastegates are completely open, so no boost. Fuel is bypassed around the fuel controller. Car feels like it is driving on 4 out of 6 cylinders (vibration) and power feels lackluster. This is called the Honda Civic mode.

Sometimes one will get a Reduced Power indication only. There are other systems that can trigger this alert. Boost is reduced but not totally zero. Your post sounds like this mode. The reduced power indication can be reset through a restart. Until the event is triggered again. This mode is called the 328i mode.

I have had three HPFP related alerts and numerous Reduce Power indications (eventually traced to the VANOS system) In all cases, the alerts happened on the Freeway and I was ALWAYS able to maintain 80 mph. Yes, the car was very unhappy with the HPFP failures, but I shove the steptronic into "DS" and drove it nonetheless until I could get set up with the Dealer. In a one case, it was a day and a half (or 200 miles) before the dealer could fit me in."

Now this car is a pleasure weekend vehicle so I guess that makes it easier for me to say I don't care about the fuel pump issue.However,driving the car is such a blast so it probably wouldn't an be issue at all.
    Enjoy the 328 if you buy it.

pseto

i honestly dont understand why people are staying away from the 335 specifically b/c of the fuel pump issue. the car would be under warranty, its a known problem, and you won't get stranded. i can understand someone staying away b/c of price but not something that may or may NOT go bad.

if it goes bad, BMW will take care of it, and you're on your way. VERY few people are going thru 2 bad fuel pumps, so once you get a new one, you're more than likely to be OK.

if you're looking at a CPO, then MAKE the dealership check to see if the fuel pump has been replaced, and if not, then make it a condition of the sale.

the difference in the ride between both are night and day IMO. there are quite a few high mileage 335s on the road now and i have yet to see any pattern of the turbos being an issue either.

az3579

How did you do that on an ordered car? I thought you can only deal on cars that are on the lot...

Joeb427 guest

Add in the fact the '07s and '08 now have a 10 year/120K mile warranty on the fuel pump.
    No doubt the same warranty will be on the '09s and maybe '10s in the future.

CSBM5

No, not at all. I've made deals on cars I've ordered every time. When we bought the E90, I simply wouldn't pay more than $1k over dealer invoice, and it was no problem closing the deal, and that was almost 4 years ago now. In this economy there are many dealers who accept (beg?) you to come in and deal on a car to be ordered. The astute buyer is seriously in charge in today's market.

az3579

So the trick to getting a deal on an ordered car is to order straight from the dealership? I thought there was a way to do it online...
    They say that if you order a car from them, it would arrive in less than 8 weeks.

If that's the case, then I'd probably have to skip the nearest dealer because I hear some pretty sloppy things about them.

CSBM5

I'm not aware of any facility of BMWNA to place an on-line order and bypass a dealer in their network.

When you order a car at a dealer, they generally look ahead in their pre-planned allocations and substitute your specifications for a car they were going to order differently anyway. Depending the dealer's plans at the moment you decide to order, one of their planned orders may be very close to the last change date in which case they can alter the spec'd build for you to get the car in about as short of time as possible.

A lot of people are shopping dealers these days. Shop around and do Performance Center delivery, have a great time and a fun ride back home.

az3579

Performance Center Delivery is an absolute must! I wanted ED but that's not gonna happen yet.