Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

To 335 or not to 335, that is the (serous) question!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Reef, Nov 9, 2008.

mose121 guest

You definately want the 335. No question. Performance difference is just ridiculous. The advise from above isn't really meaningful since the N series motors debuted with the 2006 3 series, thus none of them can really be stated as being reliable in the long term. Turbo's alone do not make a car any less reliable than a NA car. Look at turbo diesels, they run forever.

bbarden guest

I liked the 328, but went back and drove the 335--game over. Love it. Since then, added Dinan S-1 SW to compensate for added weight of my 335CiC over a colleague's new 135. Awesome.

jimlub guest

Can you tell me about the S1 and how it has worked out? I also have a 335 convertible and got dusted by a MB sedan the other day.

bbarden guest

I'd recommend reading the Dinan White Paper. The Dinan-reported increase is to 384bhp, 421lb.ft. You really feel it @ 3000rpm. The actual increase in hp > stock = ~50, as Dinan's dyno reports >300bhp BMW advertises. I'm happy with the S1. You can get incremental gains w/ Dinan's exhaust, too, but I don't think you can beat the SW upgrade for bang for the buck.

tturbo guest

A great dilemma

You definitely have a good situation here! I have the 335i and love it, especially because the snowy Canadian winter is almost over. I am not a particularly aggressive driver, but I love using on-ramps and deserted roads to crank up the beast. I did not test drive the 328i, but I know my personality would always have me looking over at the guy in the 335i and wishing I would have bought that one. You will be pretty stoked with either one, that is for sure. I guess it all comes down to your personality (and wallet!). Have fun.

Reef guest

Well thanks for all the responses. I've been away letting my emotions cool for a while and it was good to come back and take a look.

328 is out. 335 is in. Like I said, this ain't just a car, this is a dream. Why let a few bucks get in the way? :)

LOPHAT2

Yep, the responses were a tremendous help to me also. My dilemma is that I own an E46, 2006 M3 with an SMG--it's great BTW. I was debating between the 2009/2010 335i and the 2009/2010 M3. I've driven all three, including my E46, and while the 335i is a fantastic vehicle one has to spend quite a bit of energy...and cash to gain bragging rights of beating an M3. And the bottom line is that the M3 is what and where all other vehicles are trying to go and match. That M3 IMHO, regardless of the weight and price, is in a class of it's own. I am getting the M3; we only get one dance (life). So what if I have to cut back on six packs, going out, eating out, a few clothes and shoes and any other vice I may have...I'll compensate by waxing my car and joy riding.

nilscnelson guest

335 or not? ABSOLUTELY!!!

I liked the 335i so much after test driving one that I sold my Porsche Carrera to get a new 2009! Sport and Luxury packages, sat radio, 19" upgraded wheels, sapphire black on saddle, what a stunning look. Now my 545i has a baby brother next to it in the garage.

By the way, was wondering if I should do an interim oil service on the 335 prior to BMW's suggested interval. Have 900 miles on the car at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?

az3579

By all means! Frequent oil changes are NEVER a problem. BMW's extended intervals ARE a problem. I do not think BMW does break-in service oil changes on regular non-M models at 1200mi., so you might want to take care of that. From then on with synthetic oil, 5-7.5k is what seems to be the most common interval.

ManyMoonsAgo guest

Agreed - I absolutely love my 335i Coupe. That darn car puts a smile on my face when I walk up to it, when I get in it, and especially when I drive it. What more can you ask from an automobile than that.

As for oil changes, I would change far more often than BMW is willing to pay for. Every 5-7K miles - plus oil changes on the 3-series are simple compared to others.

Also, I am not so sure I believe the 'lifetime fill' claims on the coolant and transmission oil.... I have a sneaking suspicion that my definition of lifetime differs from BMW's definition.

cwn8288 guest

Drive one of each. The decision will be clear!

335i Owner

WesTex335

I have been asking myself this question for sometime now. Is it really worth it to get the 335? The consensus here is clear. Thanks.

Qunadry

Do yourself a favor and try the 135i. I know it is not for everyone, but for me the 135i is what BMW was and should be, while the 335i I had was not.

Wanderlustbob guest

:( :eek:

Love my 335!!!!

Of course as so many of my local club members remind me, there's always an M!!!

Qunadry

As I said, the 135i is not for everyone, but neither is the 335i. I owned a 335i before the 135i and it was the wrong car for me.

What is great though is that BMW makes 135, 335, M and other models. Something for just about everyone

Joeb427 guest

I was about to buy a 328 and then did a bad thing.
    Test drove a 335.

Babydoc168

I say, just do it. I owned a 2007 335i previously and I enjoyed every minute of it. Wish I would've kept it but circumstances dictated that I sell it. Power is awesome. It is quite a hoot to drive through the corners. Intake and exhaust noise is phenomenal (good quality, not loud). As for auto vs manual, you may want to check around. I've seen some ads with 'complimentary automatic transmission'. They may be making it a no cost option.

Babydoc168

Automatic on the 335i

I was reading the BMW website. It looks as if you can get a 'complimentary automatic' if you finance through BMW. Don't let the transmission bar you from getting a 335i.

az3579

That's like saying "And with your purchase, we'll include a pink fluffy teddy bear!". No fun, overpriced (teddy bears should be free!), and rips to shreds after a couple of "uses". Useless. :mad:

Why couldn't they offer something more useful, like the sport package?

Babydoc168

Not sure about the marketing...

Not sure if it is some sort of marketing gimmick. Actually, I am sure. Maybe they've been talking to the same guys who switched the xi designation to xdrive35. I agree, I'd prefer something functional such as the sport package or the value package that they are offering on the 5-series which includes leather. Again, not anything mechanically functional but for some it may be very nice. As for the autos, are they really that delicate?