Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

To 335 or not to 335, that is the (serous) question!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Reef, Nov 9, 2008.

Reef guest

To 335 or not to 335, that is the (serious) question!

First, hello everyone. I'm fairly new here, and joined because after 20+ years of dreaming, I'm am about ready to take the leap into a new BMW. I've been saving for several years, and April 2010 is D-month for a new 3-series convertible.

What I'd like to hear from you all is if in your opinion the 335i worth the extra bit? My current take is that since I'm spending all this money and fulfilling a dream, I should go for the gold and get the 335i. However, the great equalizer (great woman, btw) has compelling arguments against. I've decided on a manual shift to save some money, plus it is the obvious choice for fun driving :)

Here's my current goal:
    335i(?) Manual Convertible

Beyond engine tech and power, what reasons are there to go 335i over 328i?

Oh, and here's a stupid bit for you to comment on as well if you care to: Has anyone tried to put a hidden subwoofer in a 335i? Bav Sound has a 328 sub, but no 335i because of the exhaust routing.

mlweaver

Great cars, a convertible will be nice.
    With a manual transmission, you can't go wrong with either choice.
    If I were purchasing new, I would base the decision on how long I expected to keep the car:
    If keeping past 100,000 miles I think the 328 or 330 would possibly avoid the long term engine issues that MAY affect the relatively untested twin turbo engine.
    If I were planning to sell it before 100,000 miles, the 335 is a lot of fun ...

az3579

Well if he wants the fun factor AND the "Imma keep it till it falls apart" factor, then the 335i still would be a good choice in my eyes. Sure, he'll eventually have to replace one or both turbos, perhaps twice if he keeps it for a super long time (200k+ miles), but replacing a turbo isn't going to be as costly down the road (for this car) as it is now. Parts come down in pricing the older a BMW gets, assuming you get the same rated part and not some unbelievable turbo that wasn't originally designed for your car... :rolleyes:

RambleJ335 guest

I had the same dilema prior to my 335. I was given a quote on the 328 with the same packages I wanted, I compared it to the 335 and the saving would have been a nice addition to my bank account. But after I drove the 335 there was no way I could give up that feeling those twin turbos put out , and settle for the 328. Recently my girlfriend has purchased a 328 and trust me they are very nice cars but between the two the 335 definetly gives you that "ultimate driving experience".

On another note, my 335i has 28,000 miles on it and I have not had any engine issues, aside from some minor brake squeaks here and there but have all been addressed and taken care of.:)

I struggled with the same question for my 08 sedan. I actually placed an order for a 328 after a test drive (the 328 drove very similar to my 2001 330), but I went back the next day and switched to the 335. My reasoning boiled down to I did not want to spend over $40k and kick myself in the behind for not getting top of the line 335. I also really liked the looks of the duel exhaust and wheels of the 335. Both cars are fast enough for everyday driving but the 335 with manual transmission can't be beat. My opinion is get what you really want, not what you need, and don't let the small price difference be a factor.

Gdon86 guest

Just drive both.....the game is over!!

VertigoFlyer guest

Exactly! I drove both and the decision was VERY easy! The 335 is a whole different car! And I have zero regrets! Uber happy zippin down the road!!

spassane

Agreed. I didnt struggle with the question of 328 or 335. I drove the 335 first and there was no way I was giving up that much fun for a small difference in price. The extra money you spend will be made up with many smiles daily!

Scott Passanesi
    2008 335i Sedan

ATLhockey guest

I sell BMWs and Saabs. Out of every vehicles I have ever sold, I think I would buy a 335i Sedan -- Must have Sport Pkg, Logic 7. I would buy the black tail lights and have Jet Black over Black Leather... The Twin Turbos kick ass and you only live ONCE.

Lori S guest

I adore my 335i Coupe.

I wanted a convertable but I am unwilling to put that much trust in any company that the roll bars will come out if I flip the car. If they were permanently out I would probably own the car now.

Same problem with the Z3 first models and then they redesigned the car and they were permanently out.

BADMOBL

Good Lord, just please don't test drive a new M3!! If you do, you'll end up spending quite a bit more than you wanted! I was contemplating the exact car you are (minue convertible), but was really curious about an M3 and how much different it was. Holy smokes! It was so friggin sweet I had to go "M". With BMW's 0.9% financing right now it's like free money! Anyway, if it's between the 335i and 328i, go for the 335i!!!! What a sweet car, and you are right, the twin tail pipes, twin turbos and everything else, it's probably my second favorite BMW.

HOWARD SCHARF guest

I have my 08 335i for 1 year and have had no problems and love it.

BimmerATL guest

I just recently bought a 2007 335i coupe a couple weeks ago after looking at BMWs since 2005 (e46 back then). Let me say that the biggest thing I regret is not buying one sooner. If money is the prime concern, deals are out there to be had on 2007s. Go for the 335 whether new or slightly used. It incredibly smooth and has great power. I love it.

Regarding the M3...I drove one at the local Susan G Komen event.....awesome ride after 4k RPM.

EuroWerkz1

A different take?

Maybe I have a different take on this and because I buy and sell cars I see this decision from the end rather than the beginning.

First of all the difference between the 328 and 335 is entirely just the engine and drive-train difference. 90% of your driving you will never notice the difference.

However...that 10% is the reason most of us drive a BMW to begin with. It's a no brainer and I'll give you another bigger reason why. Doing the math on the cost versus expected residual value it looks like the 335 may be as cheap to own in total dollars, just in case you do want to eventually move on to something else down the road. Most people overlook the end value of a car when shopping and it really costs them piles of money. In fact comparing the last generation 2003 3 series 330i in the day and M3 the M3 actually costs less to own over 3 year period. Oh BTW, never take the low interest, always take the discount instead for obvious reasons.

It's too bad that math doesn't work for the new M3, it's just too mush more expensive and demand is just not there right now. And while we are talking about the M3. If you are buying a 335 because you might think you are buying an M3 lite, forget about it. The E93 M3 is in a completely different hemisphere than the 335. The 335 is a very nice 3 series BMW with a powerful and user friendly drive train. The M3 is a weapon and a pure performance car from stem to stern comparatively

Buy that 335 and Enjoy!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Buy the 335i. Period.

Doug the Iowa boy is talking about something. . . oh, yeah: residual value. WHAT?! :eek: Mannn, that's like people who use calculators to figure out whether to buy a car!

An M3 is indeed an M3. It makes a wonderful noise, and it goes like-well, it goes like a Dinan 335i, actually. No, wait: It will catch and pass a D.S3 335i, but not for quite a few strides.

The stock 335i is simply. . . brilliant. No wonder they're now sticking the twin-turbo N54 into everything from the 7 Series (no, you can't have that one, Yanks!) to the new Z4 (great googly moogly!). Mind you, I love the gentler N52 engine, too-but not after they've strangled it down to 328i/128i specs.

Kelly's 335i fo-do is a most amazing ride. It's also sinfully luxurious-and ridiculously practical. Every time we go to Costo I'm amazed at what we get into the trunk without folding down the rear seats. (Not the same for drop-top owners, of course.)

I was really shocked when she ran away from my M roadster. Then she let those Dinan boys hook up their weird little computers, and now I am careful never to put myself in a stand-on-it situation with the Z4 next to the four-door grocery-getter, because it hurts to hear her mad cackle from six lengths ahead. These days it's not even close.

And how she gets 25 mpg out of that thing I will never know. If I'm really, really good I can get the roadster to squeeze out 22.
    Ain't technology a bitch?

az3579

Oh my, our dear old Satch drag races... his wife??? ( I assume Kelly is your wife... )

... and LOSES? :eek:

Of all things holy...

EuroWerkz1

Satch, our beloved Roundel editor. We love this guy and not only is he still likely the best automotive satirist and story teller in the country but a true friend of the car hobby. (also check out his column in the Hemmings Sports and Exotic car magazine) I know he is a very decent driver having followed him around Heartland Park Topeka a time or two and seems to be a great ally of the BMW marque. I also know he loves to rally although to my knowledge he has yet to beat our ex-president Scott Blazey. We also love to hear of his winter rallying exploits, something I think might be his real motorsport love. However, his extra large brain must have spent to much time in the La Jolla sun, Alaska frost. or finally been damaged by all of those years of Sabb Sonnet V4 engine fumes.

Just kidding my friend. All I was saying is, as amazing as the 335 performs and especially after I have plugged them with the Dinan software, thay are just not an M3. Fantastic for sure and a real value in my opinion but they still remain just a super nice 3 series with a sweet running engine. And until we start running drag racing events at Oktoberfests the M3 will remain king of the mountain. Man, I just wish I could afford one.

Now get back to your lounge chair and leave us amateur bloggers alone...:)

dest149 guest

you might as well get the 335i your spending all that money on a good car, dont get cheap at the very end, you will regret it.

jimlub guest

I have had my 2007 335 convertible for 18 months and my only complaint is some consistent rattles in the cabin. They fix and come back. Going back in next week. This is actually my second 335 as the dealer crashed the first the day it came in. Had to wait 3 more months for another.

I have been considering doing the Dinan flash but have been hesitant to do it without upgrading the oil cooler. The sport package came with the better oil cooler but, not sure it is enough. I live in Arizona and the engine temp is a concern. I know Dinan does a scaled down flash that does not deliver as much HP but, would it also address the engine temp concerns? I love cars but, am not "technically inclined" so, I am asking any of you knowledgeable members for an opinion.

Regarding 328 vs. 335, if this is something you have pined for, spend the extra and get the 335. That is what I did and have no regrets. Enjoy what ever you decide.

pseto

i have the Dinan stage 2 flash and standard oil cooler and have no problems with overheating. if you heard that many people have overheating problems b/c of this combination, just remember that more people complain on the internet than give praise.