Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My E39 plans

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Autohaus, Nov 8, 2008.

Autohaus guest

In a few months I plan on doing one simple change to my E39; adding a M5 front bumper. The paint on my current stock front bumper on my 525i is flaking off little by little. I know of a reputable tuner who sells an aftermarket M5 bumper with fog lights, grills and tow cover for $225 shipped. Getting it mounted and painted would be around another $300 or so. I also plan on getting two more Style 5's on Ebay. One of them is flaking off :mad: and the other one has completely lost its shine. I can, however, get it refinished. No need to give it the slammed look. It has the M sport suspension and I don't want to plow pebbles while I'm driving it :D. Maybe I will get the engine tweaked a bit by giving it Dinan upgrades. The interior is fine and I don't plan on ever swapping out the original factory radio/CD unit for some 10 inch flat screen monitor :rolleyes:. The only flaw, however, are those %$&%$ cupholders :mad:

kbuicker guest

Take it from me, it PAYS to buy the OEM bumpers. The aftermarkets are a bit of a struggle to get on and match up with your fender lines.. the OEM, they go on like butter.. you can just feel the difference.

Autohaus guest

I guess that is what happened to you :confused:. The OEM's are like $900 :eek:. I have seen pics from other E39 drivers with this specific aftermarket and they have said its holding up well. I will heed your advice and weigh my options. Maybe I will just get my front spoiler repainted and hope for the best.

kbuicker guest

Well, I bought an aftermarket front end and had trouble with it and it's fitment (finally got it on correctly, but it took some doin'). So, when I was ready to go with the rear bumper, I didn't hesitate.. I found the best price ($700) and actually enjoyed putting it on.

Autohaus guest

I also though of maybe just getting a front lip for it. I see them all the time on Ebay. I saw a E39 540i that had it on and the owner said it has held up well. The factory front bumper stays on the car and the lip gives it a aggressive look. Maybe doing that would make more sense.

az3579

Yes, it would. I think your front bumper looks fine, and would definitely be enhanced by a lip.

I personally think you should keep that car all stock. It's getting really hard to find 525i's and 528i's that look good as yours.

Autohaus guest

True to that. I'm not too crazy about the Mutec front spoilers or the Hamaam? competition look on the E39. Now if I can get my hands on a S62 and throw that in my 525i. Ultimate sleeper...ZZZzzzZZzzz