Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2006 330i Tell me about it.

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Cwalsh1109, Nov 5, 2008.

Cwalsh1109 guest

Just had the Z4 in for service and we had a 335xi as a loaner and my wife fell in love with it. I enjoyed it too but I don't think that BMW's should be awd. However that's a topic for another thread. Anyway we went and looked at the CPO lot at the local dealer and came across an 06 330i 6mt with sport package and low miles (13k) it is a beautiful car. Crimson Red, aluminum trim, black leather.So 330 owners tell me what you think. I was going to go and drive it on Friday and see what I think. Pros and Cons are appreciated. I know that the 335 is the ultimate motor for the E90 but as I am looking into a 135 for myself we don't need 2 twin turbo I-6s in the driveway. And I love the way this car is set up and it is in my $$$$ range. Thank you in advance for your input 330 owners.

dale512 guest

love that 330i

I have had our CPO 330 for 3 months now. The car has been reliable for me and I believe for the previous owner. This is our sixth BMW and I love the way it drives and handles. It still puts smiles on my face but, I miss having a dipstick, coolant gauge and spare tire. I'm bothered that I do not know how hot the engine is running. If I buy non-runflats, I need a spare or an emergency kit. If I buy a spare, I lose most of the trunk space. IMO, I don't feel as involved with this 330 as my previous BMW's. In spite of the above, I love BMW's in general and this one in particular.

Cwalsh1109 guest

I agree that the run flats and a lack of dipstick make all new BMWs different than those we have owned in the past. That's why you need to own a few. ;).

mlweaver

I don't own a 330, but I drove one last week as a loaner when my 335 was in for service, so I can compare the two ...
    The 330 doesn't give up much power. The most noticeable difference is less low end torque. But if you use the 6 speed to keep it in the power band, there is plenty of HP for spirited driving. The 2006 330i loaner had 48,000 miles and felt REALLY GOOD as far as handling - very tight and together!
    The non-turbo engine uses a time proven design, and may be a better bet for long-term ownership (that's why I am leasing my car).
    If you have found a car with the options you like, I think you wil be happy. This is the best 3 series that I have owned (I think the handling is equal to the stock E36 M3).

0330i6 guest

The 330i is a great car and wonderful compromise if your in the market to purchase at less than 40k. At 255hp and 220 ft.lbs torque it has plenty of go to get into trouble. It is however a huge difference over the 325 or 328 as is the 335 to the 330.

Just a note: Was the Crimson Red offered in 2006? I believe the only two reds offered are barrique metallic red and electric red. Either way you will enjoy you 3er no matter what the color may be:)

CCContact

Electric Red = Japan Red

What we know as Electric Red is Japan Red in Europe, or Japanrot in German. I recently purchased a low mileage '06, and while the original window sticker shows Electric Red the one on the underside of the hood says "Japanrot." Apparently the same marketing geniuses that gave us the 230HP 328i instead of the 255HP unit also decided that Japan Red wouldn't fly over here. And Electric Red does......?

Love the car, mine with tan interior and GM-6 automatic - a little robotic in normal driving but works fine in DS mode. The thing with this motor is the 3 stage intake - it feels like the additional power and torque is there through most of the rpm band, not just on the top end. I first noticed it when I drove a Z4 3.0Si at one of the Susan Komen events, then discovered that motor was available on the '06 E90. It's a nice package with the non-sport 8 x 17 style 135 wheels all around, the standard suspension firm enough for our use.

The car was "born again" when I ditched the runflats for some Yokohamas. I may re-consider when these wear out, but for now there's not enough positive feedback to justify the price - mo' money for more noise and harshness. So for now it's "spare-tire-in-a-can."

TMQ

IMO the difference between 330 and 328 is pretty small (bigger over 325), while the power difference between 335 and 330 is much more significant.

Given the 335s out there, one probably could swing a greater deal with the 330.

ATLhockey guest

The E90 330i has taken some time to build on me. After I first drove it, I was like this has nothing on an E46. Slowly but surely, the 330i and 335i's have started to creep into my heart. As I have posted on other message boards, I would buy a 335i if I didn't get to demo different BMWs 24-7.

If your battery ever dies, replace it yourself. BMW charges a pretty penny to use forearm muscles. They're located in the trunk as usual. They look a little confusing at first b/c of an extra control module type of thing located on top of the battery, however it all comes apart relatively easy and saves you $200-$300 in labor.

E46 330's have a little bit of peeling problems, so don't park them under the direct sunlight for an extended period of time. Most of the rubberized coating on the vehicle in general will peel off with relative force. You must get the Logic 7 sound system, the regular sound systems tend to get speaker popping after 2-3 years of solid music being bled through the speakers.

THE RUN FLATS ARE ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, just my opinion. I am just waiting for some genious to create a trunk insert so that a donut spare could fit in the E90. Once the original run-flats go bad, they are either ridiculously expensive to replace or on backorder and then you have to order a different kind of tire. Not too cool, normal Michelins, Pirellis, Bridgestones, or even Kuhmos (for the budget seeker) will ride fine.

If you're going E90 330i and your doubting the power, just chip your car and get anywhere from 25-50HP. Maybe wait til warranty is out though and find a decent mechanic to keep your car in tune.

Personlly, going with the sport I love the brushed aluminum, however I recently saw a carbon fiber trim on the Black on Black 335i that made me drool.

Best of luck and feel free to email me with any questions.

arabold guest

'06 E90 Comments

Just purchased an '06 E90 with the Sport Package and 6 speed MT.

I tried a couple of non-Sport Package E90s but they felt too heavy and seemed a bit of an old man's car. There's a long sweeper near my house that demands an up shift if driven hard. Inevitably, when I made the shift the front of the standard suspension cars came up and pulled to the right. Certainly not consistant with the "Ultimate Driver's Car".

The Sport Package solved most of the handling problem but it still feels a bit heavy and turn-in isn't a crisp as I would have liked. But its an order of magnitude better. Might have to play around with bushings and/or sway bars a bit to get it where I want it.

Bottom line - Magnificent car but don't even consider one without the Sport Package (unless you are an old man!).

bimmerque

I must speak on this topic. I came from a 04-E46-330xi 6-speed! which I loved! Plenty of tq and hp to go with it. I traded up for my T-Silver 06-330i Spt-package the works. I tell you I had buyer remorse for the first two weeks but as I played more and more with my E90, It became an obsession, now I wouldn't drive anything else! The ride and the feel is great.

So, if you are still debating, I say go for it!:D

CryNoMo guest

if I am to get a CPO e90, a low mileage 06 330i would be my compromise if Im not going to twin turbo, since its a better value over the 325i and 328i

bimmerque

There a few factors you must consider:
    1. The e90 06 330i- is in a category of its own, its the first but last of an extinct breed of of awesome vehicles. Its kind of a relic! which is great for long-term investment.

2. Because of it uniqueness, If you wanted to, lets say; beef it up and get more performance out of it, then its going to be kind tuff to find quality performance parts being that the model feel in the shadows of the e90 335 series.

So, its totally up to you, with the 335 or 135 all you are getting is the Twin Turbo vs the Dynamic DOHC 24 valve engine with the 3 stage air intake system. But I strongly feel that the 330i has some hidden secrets, because BMW has put high restrictions on the computer system in the 330i's, BMW is hiding something. LOL, just my .02

Boondoggler guest

I am the original owner of an '06 330i 6MT with the Premium Package and the Sport Package. It's the first BMW I have owned. I highly recommend the car, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I've only put 17,000 miles on mine, as I am a train commuter, but look forward to every spirited drive in it. Having said that, there are some niggling issues about the car that annoy me:

1) Long throw on the shifter (I resolved this with a Rogue Engineering Short Shifter and by removing the CDV valve.
    2) Non Navigation radio units like mine have an issue with polarized sun glasses. You can't read the radio information with them on from the normal viewing angle from the driver seat. So you have to take them off, or move your head to read it.
    3) I hate the run flats. They are heavy and harsh. I have non-run flat winter tires and if I was keeping the car long enough to require replacing my summer tires, I would go non run flat.
    4) My car does not have the comfort access feature, and knowing it exists, and I don't have it, every time I insert the fob and then have to push the start button I'm mad at myself for compromising when I bought mine. I didn't want to wait for delivery, and found the color combo (Monaco Blue/Beige) in a 6MT with both packages.

Having said all that, my lease is up in July and I will be sad to see the car go unless I replace it with a brand new '09 335i built to order.

Babydoc168

I recently purchased a 2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 330i sedan with sport and premium packages. Other options on this car also include the steptronic transmission, heated seats, and the park distance control. The car happens to have a Terra leather interior. This car has 35 k miles on it with Maintenance upgraded (by the previous owner) to 100k miles. It also has CPO coverage to 100k miles. I owned a 335i previously and sold it (bad decision on my part) because I needed a larger vehicle to move cross country. 8 months after my move was complete I sold that car for the 330. I wanted to buy back a 335i but I just didn't want to stomach the car payments. I thought that the 330i was a nice compromise. It is not the roadburner that my previous 335 was but it sure is fun to drive. With the warranty and maintenance covered on this car, I do not think I could have been more fortunate considering the purchase price on this car. It doesn't have the low end torque or high end sizzle that the twin turbo 6 does but it sure is fun to wind to 7k RPM.

Zahnarzt

I whole-heartedly agree that the E90 330 is a gem--a great long-term car. You get the best of the naturally-aspirated i6 without the long-term turbo engine uncertainty. Great power, handling, and good fuel economy. I had a brand new 328 as a loaner not too long ago, and after 48,000 miles in my 2006 330xi, the 328 just seemed about 15% shy of where I'd like it to be. The current lineup is pretty skillful on BMW's part, I must say. If I had to buy another new car today and they didn't offer me the 330, I'd spend a chunk of change more for the 335 without a doubt. I likely wouldn't plan on having it for 100k+ miles, though. Hopefully my apprehension will be proven unfounded as time goes on. I'd really like to see the 335s turn out to be solid long-term performers like the 3ers of the past. As for now, looks like you have a great opportunity to score a fantastic car in good condition. I'd go for it!

:D Rick

mrglock

We have two e90's. Gotta love them. No issue so far other than I don't want to sleep, I just wanna drive it!!! My 330i is perfect for me and my wife loves her 325xi. It is a great his and her package.

pgreco guest

Agreed a great car

I picked up my 2006 e90 330i in 05 and have had it since then. It has about 54K miles on it and it runs like a charm. Its the best car that I have owned. As to the fun flats and no oil dip stick...I think these are great improvements. When I had a dip stick I hardly opened the hood, checking the levels on the dashboard..I find myself doing it more often. Run flats really add some stiffness when cornering and I find it a nice piece of mind knowing that I won't ever be stuck with a flat on the highway or bad area. My only knock is the tires are expensive.

Phil
    06 330i Sports, Cold & Premium packages

Guerc

Another 330i here...

I hope you all are right. I just bought a 330i, CPO with 27k miles. They gave me a great price, as it had sat on the dealer lot for 2 months (likely due to 6spd). Jet Black, Sport+Premium packages. I regretfully gave up my '00 E46 at just 85k, but I could see expensive maintenance coming up.

I was looking for a 335i but figured that my type of driving (1.5 mile commute to train station) are the worst possible conditions for a turbo engine, ie, never properly warming up or letting turbos spool down. Yes, I know that turbo engines are much better than in the '80's/90s, but it still concerns me.

The E90's 255hp is a good upgrade vs the '00's 192. Sure, it's not over-the-top but I have an 88 325is (with hot-rodded 95 M50 engine and go-kart handling), if I want to get my groove on.

Zahnarzt

I'm still loving mine at 3.5 years and 59,000 miles! Wonderful machine. You won't be disappointed. Do be sure to read Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance Schedule article.

:D

wretched

You won't regret it! Glad you joined the ranks! Nothing sounds better then a low rpm pull using all that torque!