Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

IRK!!!! gauge cluster in-op!!!!! e34 535i

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by just1318is, Nov 3, 2008.

just1318is guest

hi again everyone, well the past few weeks in my 1990 535 have been great...... except for my gauges not working:confused:. the dummy lights still work and the dash lights up, but no odometer, lcd, temp., gas, tach and speedo. i have been doing quite a bit of research and apparently the 89 to early 90 e34's had a white circut board that is prone to failure due to bad capacitors. i checked every possible source to find a new one and the closest i have come is at bavarian autosport and its like 600 bucks. i have seen alot on ebay, though thats not the way i'd like to go. i've also heard of upgrading to the later e34 boards but i've been told that they have an internal coding plug, and it won't work. if i could read the temp and gas i would be fine but with the 535's cooling system reputation i don't want to pay for a new head! any and all suggestions are very welcome.... after all i would hate to have to sell it!:(
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

My old boss may still have one for sale. It is for the external coding plug "high cluster" like you have. You can also attempt to replace the bad capacitors on the board. There are tutorials somewhere online, maybe the E34 pages?

just1318is guest

Really? how much do you think he would ask for it? my car is a 5 speed manual and the last 7 digits of my vin are BF09236, production date 7/89. an electrician that runs a store on ebay said that you can upgrade to the blue boards somehow. he had also mentioned someting about the mileage ofthe donor car. thanks
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It is brand new, never used, so don't know how much. I'll contact him later in the week and let you know.

just1318is guest

You're the best! even if it wasn't compatible I really appreciate all of yor help and effort, this REALLY is a great car club! Oh yeah, love the ti conversion, thats a mean combo! got any motor/exterior pictures, i'd love to see it.