Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

"jerk" start from dead stop

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by scmcwilliams, Oct 28, 2008.

scmcwilliams guest

2008 535xi

When I start from a complete start first thing int he morning, the car will "jerk" before I can move a foot from the brake to the accelerator. RPM is not racing. Only happens once in the morning and never again all day.

Had it back in the shop 3 times. first 2 they said it needed software upgrade which they did. Problem is still there. Now I just learned that they ordered me a new transmission as Germany doesn't know what's up!

ANyone else have this? Other forums suggest the adaptive transmission might be issue and offer up some voodoo fix (put key in, hit start without touching brake, hold accelerator down all the way for 40 seconds!)

rchutick

2008 535i

I have the identical problem. In addition there is a loud thud sometimes when I start the car. I'm taking it in for service next week,

scmcwilliams guest

I didn't have the thud. But my dealer talked to Germany and they recommended they pull the tranny. They replaced the entire transmission about 3 weeks ago now and I have not had the issue since. I have mixed feelings....I like that they didn't mess around and just replaced the tranny, but on the other hand....they had to replace the tranny in a 6 month old car!

jesimmons guest

There are a number of posters on the Bimmerfest forum that talked about a noticable "thunk" when first starting the engine, and before putting the car in gear (Steptronic). Feels a bit like a tightening in the transmission/drivetrain. I have had it on occasion too. The car does nut lurch forward or backward though. There is a service bulletin out on it and I have attached a copy of same. In intend to have this TSB in hand when I go in for my first service.

RatherBeInCabo guest

Tranny Slam

Have you done the transmission reset? With the key in the on position (electronics on) but not running, press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for 30 seconds. You will hear some noise from the transmission when it gas reset itself to the factory specs. Over time the tranny learns your driving habits and adjusts itself. This will bring it back to the initial settings which in numerous cases has stopped the "tranny slam".

jesimmons guest

I have done the tran "reset". Did it stop the "thunk"? Hard for me to say. I have not noticed the startup thunk lately, but the weather is cold and I'm driving the 535i less. I doubt resetting it has really eliminated it, given that BMW recognizes the "thunk" issue as being something related to the transmission diagnostic routine that is performed every time the engine is started, and now has a TSB software fix to resolve it.

Other issues may be unrelated and could be resolved by resetting the transmission, or other more extreme repairs.