Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e34 Touring: Tailgate glass pops open

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by puma, Mar 12, 2008.

puma guest

Hi all,
    I recently purchased a '93 525i wagon. My third BMW and first 5 series. It's great! most everything works in proper order (especially the sunroof, which seems to be a big problem with the touring models) except the tailgate window.
    I've searched around and have found many issues with the e34 tailgate but none with the same problem I have.

The issue is possibly just a loose connection but I wanted to see if any of you have any wise advice before I go taking things apart. The window only opens about 10% of the time when I use the handle on the tailgate. Most of the time there is no motor noise when I lift the handle. If I giggle the rear wiper in conjunction with lifting the handle it will open most of the time. It also opens when I hit a bump or close the tailgate.

Thanks for any help!

mjweimer

Puma,

This is a common problem on the E34 Tourings and the culprit is a broken wire in one of the two electrical harnesses in the tailgate area.

Check out this link for more info on the problem including a nice.pdf file detailing which wires do what.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/E34Touring/Harness.htm

Matt

puma guest

Thanks for the info Matt. I'll have to wait until it's not raining to check it out...

mjweimer

No problem, hope you find and fix your problem easily.

Matt

puma guest

And so it goes deeper...

I discovered, when I replaced bulbs, that the reverse light on the right side won't light up. Which leads me to believe the right wiring harness is at fault, being that the glass latch is on the right side as well. I'll update when I get some time to do the disassembly.

mjweimer

Interesting. Hopefully the problem is found within the harness and is an easy repair.

Matt