Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

phone book doesn't transfer in new iDrive

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 303060, Oct 26, 2008.

303060 guest

Hello all. I just took delivery of an '09 335 with iDrive and my Motorola k1m (verizon) phone cannot transfer the phone book. A list of random alpha numeric codes comes up in the contacts section of iDrive. I also have a motorola razor (t-mobile) that i use as a back up that does transfer the phone book.
    Is the bluetooth technology different in the new iDrive? Are there any settings that can be tweaked to remedy this? Any info is appreciated.

Jonathan Spira guest

The Bluetooth technology shouldn't really have changed but that's a question I have yet to address.

What you saw is a common indicator of an incompatible mobile unless it's just a bad mobile (you could try of the same another unit int he car to rule this out).

Since you state that the RAZR does indeed work properly, it would appear that you have answered your own question.

303060 guest

jonathan, thanks for the reply. I am sorry i did not make my question clear enough. The same phone, k1m was fully compatible with my '06 model, so i was wondering what the difference was with the '09.

All in all, not a big problem. I was shopping for new mobile anyway so i will see which ones are compatible.
    The new iDrive is outstanding! I love it.

Jonathan Spira guest

I did speak with someone at BMW NA (responsible for technical matters such as this) who advised that there should be no differences in compatibility but the emphasis is on the "should."

lukemortensen guest

I have just experienced this exact same problem with my 2009 330i CV when I try to pair my Sprint K1m. The phone works terrifically in all ways with regard to incoming and outgoing calls as well as voice command (by number) dialing. But, as the original poster indicates, the phone book is a jumble of numbers and letters with regard to the "contact names" but the phone numbers are all there. I have tried rearranging the numbers in my phone and removing email addresses but with the same results upon pairing. I hope a BT update in the future will fix this (as opposed to purchasing a new phone). Please post if you find a solution to this predicament.

Space Cowboy

Have you tried updating the software on your phone? Check the Motorola site (hellomoto.com) for software/firmware updates. The KRZR K1m you have is an older model (2006), so it may need to be updated to work with the newer Bluetooth communications system that's in the new BMWs.

303060 guest

I updated the software on my phone K1m ( i purchased this phone in 4/08) but there was no improvement with transferring the address book.

lukemortensen guest

Also updated the phone software but no improvement. I suppose the incompatibility will not be addressed with this older phone. Sure makes one wish that the bluetooth standard was more 'standard'. Ah me...