Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

30 Great Things about E30's

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by MGarrison, Oct 16, 2008.

MGarrison

Another item - a standard, manual, glare-reducing, 2 position rearview mirror. I can count on about two fingers the self-adjusting, automatic rearview mirrors that worked about as well as a regular rearview mirror that I've come across. All the others are more like - 'You call that adequate glare reduction? Ya gotta be kiddin!'

I hope current iterations of these things actually do something to cut the glare from headlights behind you at night.

az3579

Yep - flip the switch and you're good!

Another great thing - I've got over 300,000 miles on this sucker and I'm looking for an excuse to go on a drive. I don't get in and think "oh crap, another trip; hope it doesn't crap out on me", but instead I get in and think "F*** YEAH!!! Another trip!"

granthr

I think that about sums it up! :D After I have been driving the E36, even though it is very comfortable and relatively quiet compared to my E30s, I always miss driving my E30s. I can hear every mechanical sound that they make and it is easy to tell that all is right with the car! I love the form follows function mentality that went into the design. And they are such a blast to drive! :D

desertVert guest

1. How about the fact that from the entire suite of E30s just about all the parts are interchangeable? My favorite mod is my maplight mirror...
    2. They're so fun to drive that every time I open her up on the highway I find myself thinking "there's no way this car is almost 20 years old."
    3. And how it isn't uncommon to come out of a building and find some stranger gawking at your car. ;)

granthr

Yes! Interchangeable parts! I have ditched the drum brakes on my 318i and have replaced them with 325e brakes on all four corners and the 325 master cylinder! Great upgrade! :D

I have also swapped in the timing chain tensior from an S50/S52 for my M3. Big Improvement!

GR

dixie_kuma@yahoo.com guest

Bank robbers get away car

Howdey,
    I missed the pull light on my first one so much. I went and got a second E30.

330189 guest

Easily fits into a parking space with room to spare for the stupid grocery cart some idiot left in front of me.

ecvchamp guest

PULL LIGHT? WHAT IS THAT?

missmelyssa guest

ah, I want one

If I could find a way to get rid of my current ride, I would so I can get one.
    No payments and much easier to work on!!!!

az3579

The pull-switch to switch on the headlight. You know, "the headlight puller thingy". :p

Oh come on, you gave up on the E90 already??? :eek:

missmelyssa guest

Nice car, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy it. Hey, it's just an option.

When I read about the E30's I feel the enthusiasm....and people actually work on the cars.
    Maybe cuz the E90 is still new and heavily computerized, you don't really hear too many people tinkering with them themselves.

And again, the other option is to just get and E30 as an additional car.
    But for now I just need to pay some bills off, and my E90 is my big bill. All $23k of it.

MIKEGTR guest

It is disappointing that after getting the M3 i kept comparing it to my E30...
    the E36 is a good car but the E30 is a great car... Die hard E36 drivers will deny it... but the simplicity, the driving feel and even the shortcomings of the E30 are great...

maybe I'm biased since I've had 4 E30s before i bought the E36 :p

Mike

missmelyssa guest

ha ha ha...wow Mike.
    Sounds like you're going to be getting another E30 soon.

Man, I joined last month and nothing appears under my username in my postings.
    I better call the office now.

MIKEGTR guest

who says i don't have one right now? :D

CRKrieger

Yeah: "WOW! No acceleration at all!"

Signed: That guy in the big white 4-door sedan whose taillights all the E30 guys were looking at at The Glen ... :D

ecvchamp guest

yours may not accelerate, but I have no problem.(the 17's with 205 45 tires are the same diameter as stock);)

Brian A

Hey, watch yourself Krieger. This thread is for certified members of the E30 Mutual-Admiration / Self-Congratulation Society. You're on pretty thin ice taking shots like that. Why, I just read an article in Roundel that called the E30 "Overlooked Nobility" (brilliant article, by the way); nothing tops an E30.

az3579

Damn straight, skippy!

ecvchamp guest

thank you, we all love our bmw's e30, e28 or whatever. if not we would not be here

Elkoholic

True fact.