Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Drove the X6

Discussion in 'E71/E72 X6 (2008-present)' started by Autohaus, Oct 14, 2008.

Autohaus guest

I drove it during the Susan Komen Drive For The Cure events and sad to say that I was not impressed. I am not really a fan of the SUV/SAV/SAC. However, for the asking price for these monsters, not worth it IMHO :(. The interior on my E39 is more appealing to me. They should throw a 6-speed manual transmission in it. I bet that would make it more interesting.

az3579

I've been told that it handles great on windy roads, but what the heck is the point of having an SAC? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY could answer that that I have seen so far.

I just don't get why they feel the need to bring another behemoth machine on the face of this planet when it's clearly not the way to go, especially since it's a step back in usability. I mean c'mon, you can't see out the back and you need a backup camera? Pathetic.

And then they go and put a 300hp engine in it. With well over 2 tons to lug around, 300 just doesn't cut it anymore. Any more than that and you sacrifice whatever poof of economy you *might* have.

I don't know why you bothered to drive it, honestly.

Autohaus guest

Just to see what all the excitment was all about. Not pleased with it at all. Kind of like all the hype with the Scubado (Subaru) B9 Tribeca. I remember all those commercials 2-3 years ago bragging about that thing. They were talking about it like its the coming of Christ......

cmking guest

They've been zipping around Greenville here for a year now, and all the ones that I've seen have that sexy (yes, i think its sexy) puff of black all over the bumper because of the diesel. I really just want to drive it for the torque monster factor. All of the test drivers that got wound up enough and noticed me eyeing the car would gun it, and hell did it make an incredible sound.

....of course, that doesn't mean the car has a purpose in life.

palbay guest

Have you driven the car? Handles better than most mid size sports sedans...pulls .93g's on the skidpad....much better than most midsize sports sedans.The car was designed for people who do not want a traditional SUV and the SUV look...but do want a very sporty look and driving experience and reasonable room to store stuff.Behind 2nd row holds 26 cubic feet of stuff...very competitive w/ all mid size SUV's. Sedans....even w/ the four doors and a reasonable trunk...just don't suffice for many people.I work out of my car and a sedan is just to confining when I have customers/clients/files....I need elbow room. You actually save gas and money with the X6....you get two cars in one, a very sporty weekend fun car and your daily driver w/ enough room for your stuff.The 300 hp is more than sufficient for the X6.You never feel you need more power.What "usability" or "purpose in life" does an M3 or M5 bring to the table or for that matter a Z4? That's an open ended question that's best answered by the person who opens their wallet and pays for the car they wish to drive.It's about "choice" and thank goodness BMW gives us a choice. Thanks! PalBay

Autohaus guest

This is what makes the world go round and round. If every person liked the same thing to a "T", then we will all be acting like robots driving around in Ford Taurus'. I am more of a "car" kind of guy. A lot of people drive trucks (SUV/SAV/SAC) just so they can "see down the road". No problem with that but its just not for me ;). If you ever do buy an X6, please post pics:cool:

330indy1

doesn't matter. 6000 lbs. are a waste on this one. it's lame, any way you slice it.
    the classic stance: feed the pig more HP!
    :p

aidibiye guest

I test drove over the weekend and I have to say it is impressive.
    It handles better than the wife's X5.

dmlgc guest

+1
    PalBay is correct the "usability" or "purpose in life" could be placed on all the cars "purists" love m3/m5/etc. Tree huggers would say there is no need for any performance sedan like BMW because a prisus will get you from point A to point B more economically.
    Interestedly the one mind mentality seems to be more prevalent in the BMW community.
    I remember when the X5 ( had 2 of those) came out the "chosen" said BMW should not be making a an SUV because it wasn't ..well what BMW should be making.

BlueAngel M3 guest

I wasn't impressed either not to mention it looks ugly to me. Don't expect for that model to stick around for long. The X5 on the other hand is a hit! Beautiful design and drives really nice, but thats just my opinion.

M3Driver guest

I agree. I still stand by my opinion the X6 looks like a constipated toad.

LowNote guest

2010 X6 5.0 is a winner

I've been out of the BMW loop for several years (except for the 2007 X3 that my wife drives). Last Bimmer was a 1989 530i which was the worst piece of junk I'd ever owned. Everything went wrong, and I sold it a year later. My first Bimmer was a 1972 2002tii (which I sold like a jerk), and then though about ten cars (6 series coupes, first 320i deliverd to US in 1977, 733i, bunch of 5 series), and then I went to the dark side with Mercedes. So I know a thing or two about BMW's from the old days. I just bought a 2010 X6 5.0 with every option except added 40 hp and 20" performance/wheel package. This IS NOT a useless vehicle. It has tons of room inside (we have no kids, just two cats who don't particularly like riding in any vehicle), and I play a huge musical instrument (contrabassoon in the National Symphony In Washington DC), which comes in an even HUGER case. Fits easily with only right rear seat folded down, with over a foot front to back space to spare. Lots more room inside than my Mercedes ML500, and a hell of a lot better built. This thing is a rocket. Drove up to Pennsylvania yesterday to get my bassoons repaired, and cruised (with help of Beltronics Sti) between 80-90 mph with an average of 18 mpg (and I only have 700 miles on the machine). Handles better than (and you will find this hard to believe) better than a 335xi with sports suspension. Dynamic body control, active steering, heads up display, sports package, and the list goes on. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Period. And you think it's ugly? I got stopped twice yesterday at gas stations by people who wanted to have a tour of the thing. One guy was with his wife, I had passed him on I-83, he followed me into the BP station when I got fuel, just to get a good look at the thing. I gave him my dealer's info (SunMotorCars in Mechanicsburg, PA), and he assured me that he was going to get over there this week to think about placing an order. NO, it does not appeal to everyone. But in mineral silver, I think (and so do my colleagues in the National Symphony) that this machine is a true work of art. Guess you guys hung up on the M3, M5, etc. can't get your minds around a new idea. Your loss.

hdman1216 guest

I just traded my M-B GL550 for a new X6 50i and I can report that it is a much better vehicle than the M-B.
    The power is fantastic and the overall looks and quality make the X6 a great deal.
    You can bet the people that don't like them have never driven one or are wishing that could have one.

LowNote guest

Have had my X6 5.0 for about six weeks now, and it is still amazing. This thing handles far better than any vehicle this size should. Yes, it does tend to be thirsty with the fuel, but highway mileage is not bad at all. Build quality is superb. I do, however, think that the speedo/odometer in my X6 is inaccurate (reading on the high side) by approximately 10%. Checked this with two roadside speed monitors and also with one of the local police cruisers with their radar. My speedo/heads up display read "30 mph" and they clocked me at 26 mph. I cannot explain this phenomenon, but will certainly follow up with my selling dealer. I made sure that my speedo was reading mph rather than kph, so that is not the problem here. Other than that, this is the best overall vehicle I have ever owned.

bcweir

Alright, who called out the Car Police?

OK, so it's not what YOU would buy. No problem. People are buying cars other than M3's and M5's too. People are also buying 7-series, 1-series cars, Z-cars, etc.

Why does the fact that BMW sells other kinds of vehicles to other people who welcome such vehicles turn people into intolerant Car Police?

Granted, this isn't the vehicle I'd buy either, and I have no problem with that.

So the X6 is not for you. Wonderful. So now ask why is it so terrible that someone else, with the money and completely different needs than you, would want to buy this vehicle?

Why does BMW have to sell only vehicles YOU would buy?

BMW doesn't manufacture these vehicles to the exclusion of anything else. You can still buy a 1-series, 3-series, 5-series, 6-series, 7-series (my personal favorite, so sue me or write out the ticket), Z-series, etc. Does BMW also have to stop selling MINI's and Rolls Royce's simply because it's not what YOU would take home?

Why does exercising YOUR freedom to buy what YOU want require putting your foot on the neck of somebody else's?

BlueAngel M3 guest

Well said. :)

BMWCCA1

All BMWs read high. It's unsafe to read low so the 5-10% range errors to the high end. Your dealer can tell you the acceptable error range for replacement but check it at a higher speed like locking the cruise at 60mph and timing the highway markers for a couple of miles. It may just be consistently 4-mph high the whole way up. You might also check it against your trip computer speed readout on reset.

hdman1216 guest

This says it all. "Different strokes for different folks".

tiFreak

that must be it :rolleyes: I have no desire to drive one either, I'm sure it handles great and is very practical but I can't get past the looks

az3579

Once again you are not understanding my point. I'm not saying it's a bad vehicle and that nobody should buy it; I'm saying that there isn't too much of a point to it. What exactly is the matter with an X5? The X5 handles well, looks amazing as well, and is more practical. I'm just trying to grasp the point that BMW is trying to make with a car like this, because with a size like the X6, it isn't checking the practicality boxes that cars of this size should be checking, so once again: what was BMW's intent for this car?