Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Any 128i owners? Advice please.

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by Cwalsh1109, Oct 11, 2008.

Cwalsh1109 guest

I was looking at picking up a 128i or a 135i if I can get the numbers to work. For obvious economic reasons the 128i may be the logical choice as both of these cars get surprisingly close to $40k once optioned. So for you 128 owners I have a question of the car. Are there mods and upgrades available? I have searched and found only things for the 135i. As normal I'd be looking for intake/exhaust, short shift, and possible ECU upgrades, new wheels and suspension if necessary. I know ....that if I were to put these things into a 128 that I am better off with a 135 in the first place but I can spread these costs out over the course of a year or more and still have a fairly capable car in the meantime.

2AD Tanker

If you don't go too crazy on the options you can get a 135i for less than $40k.

I would get the 135i - you will be glad you did.

Cwalsh1109 guest

So do you have a 128i and no mods or are you just telling me that you have a 135? Currently in my budget I have $35k to spend on a car. Not a penny more so the 135i is out of the question. As is the 335 and the M3. Thankfully I have already found my answer on 1addicts.com. But, I appreciate your input none the less.

2AD Tanker

I have a 135i and I love it.

I just came from 1addicts and it is a great site for the 'One'!!

Which ever BMW you get, I am sure you will truly enjoy it!

boostedn54 guest

+1, 1addicts is a great site to find info from other 128i owners. I have a 135i, but also test drove the 128i. Both cars felt great, you can't go wrong either way.

bozola guest

I have a 128. No regrets at all.

I have kind of a unique perspective as I have a 135i and my dad has a 128i. Thus I have driven both. I can say you really can't go wrong with either. The 128i is pretty dang quick and drives much like a traditional Bimmer in that the loves the higher RPMs. It handles great and looks great. The 135i on the other hand runs like a bat-outa-hell. There is torque everywhere and lots of it. Amazingly they both are great on gas mileage. My dad has been averaging around 30 mpg with a mix of city and highway and my 135i has been getting about 21 mpg with almost all city. As far as mods there are more for the 135i as it has out sold the 128i and is twinturbo charged and thus lends itself to mods. I have a feeling that given some time the 128i will have many mods for it. No matter what you get, get the sport package. There is really nothing else that you need. Neither of out cars have power seats (witch we do not miss) or premium packages or cold weather packages. Do not get the upgraded stereo. My dad got it and he doesn't feel its worth it. To sum up, you really can't go wrong with either car as they are (at least we feel) both bargains.
    Chris

Mike128i guest

The key question is how are going to use the car. With the upgrades you listed it sounds like you want a go-fast car you will occasionally (or frequently) track. In that case the 135i would be the preferred choice. If you are going to pretty much stay on the street, go touring and have a desire to avoid downstream costs for turbo repair and maintenance than the 128i is a good choice. I have a 128i with just over 1000 miles, love the car. It is fast enough for me, handles great and saved a bunch of change (compared to a 135i or for that matter any other Bimmer) when I bought it.

mgthompson

If you don't want to pay the extra cost for a 135i you can get an M-Sport 128i. The M-sport package will put the 135i suspension and body parts on the 128i. If you get the N52 engine there are ECU upgrades available. With new ECU software, adding the DISA intake manifold, and replacing the exhaust you should be able to get 268 HP.

Mike128i guest

Probably the best upgrade (and one the least expensive) is attending the Advanced and High Performance Driving Schools put on by the various BMW CC Chapters. This sage advice was posted in another forum. The 128i is a very spirited machine, if you can maximize its potential you will be slipping by some mediocre drivers with significantly more horsepower. Of course an equally talented driver with a 135i will zip by you in the straights. I took a number of these courses when I had my Mini Cooper S. I learned a lot, especially that I was not particularly fast. Developing speed takes a lot of seat time and I did not want to make that kind of commitment. Basically I am a sailor at heart and would rather be on the water dueling with the wind gods than on a track with drivers who are significantly more hard-core. However I do plan on taking my new 128i (just passed 2000 miles) to some of the schools primarily to get a feeling for a rear drive car when driven at the limit. I'll also add one or two HPDS's into the mix, won't worry when I have to wave someone by and smile when I pass a 328i.

granthr

Umm.... The OP posted back in Oct 08, two years ago! I am guessing he/she is enjoying what ever they bought. So Cwalsh, what did you buy?