Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

To MooseheadM5

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by granthr, Oct 7, 2008.

granthr

Paul:

Sorry I am posting this here. I tried to send you an email and a private message, but I don't think they worked. When I send myself one I don't get it. Probably user error! :D

Anyway, I saw in another thread that you posted in that you are an independent mechanic in Charlottesville, VA. Do you work on Mini? My sister lives in Charlottesville and will for at least the next 6 years. She hasn't bought a Mini yet, but she probably will in the next year. If you do work on Minis do you have a recommendation on which one she should buy? If you do work on them, I will certainly send her your way. What is the name of your shop?

For me I like the first generation Minis, the new ones seem to have lost some of the enthusiast edge to them. Also the body panel fit and finish seems less quality. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Grant
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I'll get back to you. I did get your PM and returned one, but it may not have gotten through.

granthr

Paul: Thanks! I have not gotten a PM from you, that is why I posted in the thread. I posted in another thread as well last week, but it is an old thread and you probably didn't see that. :) Looking forward to your insight.

Thanks
    GR

mooseheadm5

We do have an Autologic so we can work on Mini. The dealer here doesn't even work on them. I like them, and yet, I don't. When they break, they tend to cost extra to fix. Manuals have crappy release bearings and can take out a special order part when they explode. You practically have to pull the engine to get the trans out. Some of them have crappy electric power steering that goes out and costs lots to fix. And the hood release is on the wrong side, dammit. I still like the E30 over the Mini because I prefer the rear wheel drive, but chicks dig the Mini. I take it your sis is going to UVA. Undergrad or grad? She hot?
    :D

Just kidding. I'm married.

granthr

Paul:

Thanks for the advice, I will pass it on to her. Any warning signs to a release bearing failing to look for when test driving? Yea the hood release on the right would get old! Silly Germans trying to pretend their brits! :D Although at least we get the third door on the Clubman on the correct side, those in the UK have to step out into traffic!:eek:

Actually she works at UVA, this will be the first car that she buys. She has her heart set on a Mini and it will be a manual. This past summer I tried to get her to buy a really nice E30 318is, but she pasted on it. In hind sight, I should of just bought it for myself.:confused: Ahwell at least I was successful in convincing my brother to buy an E30 325ix! :D And yes he loves it! He lives in Utah where they got their first snow a month ago already.

What is the name of your shop?

Thanks,
    Grant

mooseheadm5

The Foreign Auto Center. We do pre-purchase inspections as well for one hour of labor. $72/hr. I am scaling back my time at the shop to concentrate on my engineering job, so I may not be there if she comes by. I suggest she have any car she is interested in buying checked out first. Once I found an E36 M3 that was 2 cars welded together. Best money that kid ever spent finding that out ahead of time.
    Noise from the bearing with pedal down is the first thing you will notice. Ignore that at your own peril. Just remember to tell her that these are good, reliable cars, but that when they break, they can cost quite a bit to fix. Also, if she wrecks it in the front, it is one of the more expensive cars to repair, so make sure she has good insurance.

granthr

Paul:

Great! Thanks for the great advice. I will pass it on to my sister.

GR

VA_John

Hmm, I used to go to Blue RIdge Motorworks and Finley's Auto/Exxon on Barracks Road. Foreign Auto Center must be a new shop.

I left C'ville about 3 years ago or so. Blue Ridge does good work most times, but their appointment lady is insanely angry. I don't know what that's about- but anyhow. It's cool to see a new shop in town. My parents are still there.

mooseheadm5

The"appointment lady" is actually Mrs. Curtis. We have been in town for many years, but FAS, used to specialize mostly in Volvo and Benz, then in VW Audi, but they have always worked on BMW. Since I got there, though, we have been pushing to do more BMWs since there is a market here, and we have the tools and the expertise to do it.

VA_John

Thanks moose/Paul. Well, it's good to know there's another indy in town. I would have gone to you if I knew about the shop. Really... I looked in the BMW CCA ads and in the phone book and nothing about nothing besides blue ridge when I was there.

Ah, and by angry lady, I meant the lady at Blue Ridge Motorworks. I don't know your lady. After spending 2K on repairs at blue ridge, getting growled at after paying them isn't my idea of fun. In fact she looked like she wanted to stab me the whole time. I dunno. Maybe that's what happens to people she likes. Maybe that means I'm now loved. And maybe I'm a chinese fighter pilot.

So since I've left C'ville and moved up near Dulles, VA, I go to a place called road race technologies. http://www.rrtservice.com/. The mechanics there have the same cars you do and they race on the weekends. Quite a cool group of mechanics. They'll show you whats wrong and have little to no diamond forming in their backside, so they'll even drive you in their cars and show you how you can make yours as nice. In any case, I'm babling due to a triple shot espresso. This yuppie crack is gonna kill me.

If I'm ever in need in the area, I'll give your shop first dibs. I go down there every couple of months just to check if my parents are alive. Take care, and I appreciate the heads up.

mooseheadm5

I know what you meant. Blue Ridge is aka Hermann and Curtis, and now that Hermann has retired, you know the rest. I have gotten all over the owner of Foreign Auto about advertising, and he is working on it.
    I guess you never caught any of my other posts about those crooked SOBs at RRT.

Just kidding, btw. James at RRT is my brother, so you can definitely trust them. Be sure to tell him if he ever needs help figuring out, he can come here and ask an expert :D

suss1173

The Minni's are great cars. They offer plenty of cargo room, good on gas, fantastic handling, and and are very reliable. Mine is more of a weekend car and think that it would be tough to live with as a daily driver (IMO), but this is coming from someone who drives an e39 as a daily driver.

My MCS has not had may issues, and all repairs have been done under warranty (steering rack, nosy seatbelt track, window regulator), and I am super picky about all noises creaks, and cracks. As extra insurance, I pay for an oil service in between the recommended free oil services.

I sugest looking for an 05-06, they revised the transmission in 05 and she might get one with some warranty left on it.

Good luck to you sister on her move and car purchase.