Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E24 Suspension

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by gthberg, Oct 4, 2008.

gthberg

Going to swap out the self-leveling system on my 88 M6, and going with the Bilstein sport set up. Question is, do I need to be worried about too much negative camber with the new setup? I've heard several people say they had to go with adjustable mounts to dial out the negative camber, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Buckeye653

When you say the Bilstein Sport setup, are you talking springs as well? Shocks have to be matched to the springs (length and rebound/damping). I put ST springs on my 1982 633 (E12 suspension) which lowered it an inch but went with Bilstein HD's. I think the Sports might require more than a 1" drop in spring length to work properly.

Negative camber will be pronounced and you'll see in tire wear for normal street driving. A camber kit for the rear is advised particularly if you're lowering 1.25". What a lot of folks forget about with the trailing arm suspension is that when you lower the springs there's more toe-in. A few adjustable trailing arm kits make you choose either camber or toe-in. Not sure what is affected by the eccentric trailing arm bushings. I'd say go for the camber adjustment and maybe the toe-in can be decreased somewhat even with the eccentric bushings.

sramdat

Suggest you contact Gordon Arnold at Bavarian Autosport. I recently replaced the self-leveling suspension on my 88 M6 with Bilstein Sport shocks and Gordon was extremely helpful. I also replaced the rear springs and front shocks with Bilstein Sports to normalize the ride which is a little stiff, but feels more stable.

sramdat

Suggest you contact Gordon Arnold at Bavarian Autosport. I recently replaced the self-leveling suspension on my 88 M6 with Bilstein Sport shocks and Gordon was extremely helpful. I also replaced the rear springs and front shocks with Bilstein Sports to normalize the ride which is a little stiff, but feels more stable.

DaHose guest

I have Eibach springs and Bil sport dampers. The car is LOW and has camber issues. I fabricated some custom spacer blocks for the front and it is now within spec. The rear is squat and cambered out. I plan on welding in some Ireland engineering adjusters to take care of that problem. If you just drop the car, you will definitely have lots of tire tread left when the inside wears and forces replacement.

Jose