Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E24 Suspension

Discussion in 'E24 M6 (1987-1998)' started by gthberg, Oct 4, 2008.

gthberg

Going to swap out the self-leveling system on my 88 M6, and going with the Bilstein sport set up. Question is, do I need to be worried about too much negative camber with the new setup? I've heard several people say they had to go with adjustable mounts to dial out the negative camber, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I have never heard about problems with negative camber. My M5 had SLS, and my friend's had Bilsteins, and there was no difference. Basically, unless you lower the car, it will not have any more negative camber, and the Sports and HDs have different ride height settings anyhow.
    Oh, and don't double post.

CRKrieger

If you're using stock springs (standard E24 or Motorsport), you probably don't need Bilstein Sports. The HDs are valved identically, but slightly longer and, if you want the car to sit a little higher, you would want these. For some reason, Bilstein is the only shock manufacturer to see the need for a shorter shock to use with lowering springs.

gthberg

Thanks for the replies, gents. I guess I should be more specific. Since I have the self-leveling system, I'm going to have to trade out springs, as well. So I was looking at the Bilstein sport/H&R spring package (which lowers 1.25"). I'm looking for someone who may have done this swap, as I'd like to ask a few questions about clearance and camber. Thanks again.

DaHose guest

If you are looking at a 1.25" drop, then you might be on the far side of spec., but still OK. If you drop more (I bought my M6 with Eibach and Bil. sport ~ 2" drop) then you will have camber issues. I had to fabricate blocks for my front and will be welding in the Ireland rear adjusters.

Jose
    1987 M6

mp0735 guest

are you intersted in selling the self leveling suspension parts?

gthberg

I'm more than willing to sell the parts, but it's going to be a while. I'm overseas right now, and won't be home for a couple months. Best you're looking at late March.