Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oil change and parts

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by wretched, Oct 3, 2008.

wretched

I have a 2006 330i and do not want to wait for the dealer to change the oil! My question is where do you get your oil and filters? I saw bavauto has BMW oil but I am not sure about the brand of filter. If do not use a BMW filter will the service department be tipped off to me changing my own oil? What oil and filter do you recommend?

Thanks for all the help!

06red330i

Oil Change

I Believe Bmw Oil Is Castrol Synthec 5w-30, So I Would Use That Or Mobil1
    The Filter I Would Get From Bavauto.com. I Just Got One From Them For My 06 330i, And Have Purchased Many From Them For My Bmw's
    Bob

shanneba

I would suggest the 0w-30 Castrol Syntec, the made in Germany version. Check the back of the bottle.
    It meets the BMW LL-01 spec.
    I have only seen this weight at AutoZone.
    The Syntec 0w-30 performed about the same as the BMW 5w-30 in my 2003 330Ci.
    I also had great results with my last run of Redline 5w-40.

I use the Mann oil filters, many BMW online retailers have these. You can get the BMW filter at the dealer, it is made by Mann or Mahle normally.

The should not be any issue with you doing an oil change between the dealer free oil changes. It will not void your warranty.

You can compare the oils in my car at Bob is the oil Guy dot com.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1264613#Post1264613

Here is a link from BMW USA on approved oils.
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

wretched

JTBurn

wretched

Sorry it comes with 7 quarts not 6. that was a typo.

Damien