Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

AWD + Staggered Fitments

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Zahnarzt, Sep 30, 2008.

Zahnarzt

Greetings!

My daily driver is a 2006 330xi with sport package. Since it's an AWD car with staggered fitments, I wondered if the computer controlling the AWD system might be programmed for the wheel/tire size differences front to back. Is this an issue I need to consider when picking a winter wheels and tires setup? I wasn't planning on sticking with the staggered setup for the winter unless it still might be of benefit. I live in Chicago and plan on driving on some snow but mostly plowed, paved surfaces.

Thanks for the insight.

Rick

CRKrieger

Staggered tire sizes on an AWD should still be the same diameter. Do the math for yours and I'm certain that's what you'll find. So use four identical sizes for snow.

VertigoFlyer guest

Staggered Winter Tires are OK!

I just priced out Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's for our 08 335xi. We have 8x18 inch rims in front and 8.5x18 inch rims in back. The fronts will be 225/40R18 and the rears will be 255/35R18.

This is from Tire Rack. All I had to do is enter what car I own (make/model/year) and it brought up a list of choices for winter tires. Twas quite easy and helpful!

My local chapter members assured me the Blizzaks would work GREAT here in Washington state.

CRKrieger

So will Dunlop Winter Sport M3s ... and they should not be as squirmy as the Blizzaks. At least, that is why I quit driving on the Bridgestones.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Just make certain you get the right sizes on there and that the overall rolling radius is very very close. I have a friend that worked at S***s tire and auto (as a sales rep) and one day when he wasn't in, someone sold the wrong size tire to an AWD Volvo owner. He told me that apparently it is possible to bring a Volvo to a screeching halt in a matter of miles by doing that!

awbusch

Tire size comparison

A very nice tire size calculator (when comparing 2 different tire sizes) can be found at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html . From what I have always heard and understood, having the same diameter tires on all four corners of all-wheel drives cars is supposed to be critical to the welfare of the AWD mechanicals. Recently, I had to use a spare from one of my other 3-series on my E46 325Xi, and this tire calculator showed me I was within .5%, which was close enough for me to drive 2 miles.

Art

bradley01 guest

Forgive me for my ignorance...but I thought that staggered wheels on an Xi was impossible. I have a '02 330xi and was considering getting new wheels for it. I was told by many people that staggered wheels will not fit on an xi. I guess I must be wrong, but would apprecaiate some educating!

awbusch

Staggered wheels on Xi?

I think that the main concern with staggered wheels on an Xi may be the circumference needing to be the same. At least that is the concern with AWD cars that I have frequently heard. You can check on the circumference difference at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and then you might also check with your local BMW dealer service department. I would guess that if there wasn't a problem with the staggered wheels on the Xi, then BMW would have offered them as an SP option.

Art
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well, staggered wheels are not really necessary on an AWD car. You can fit them if you like so long as the tires are the same circumference.