Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear License Plate Holder

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by 373214, Sep 24, 2008.

373214 guest

As on all BMWs that I've had, the license plate bolts on our `02 330 xi no longer komen sie out. :) The nuts just spin in the plastic when you try to unscrew them. It looks like I need to replace the license plate holder/frame, but I'm not sure how to remove the panels inside the trunk lid to access the bolts that hold it on. Thanks for any help.

gillham

373214 guest

This is great. Thanks a bunch. I'll get another frame and break the old one. It's my wife's car, so I'll have to be sure she's not watching me do this... she would hurt me. LOL!

Thanks again!

Jeron guest

The bolts that hold on the plate thread into a little sleeves that are molded into the plastic plate holder. If you put too much torque on the bolts the sleeves can come detached and spin freely inside the plastic frame. Dont tighten the plate down too tight on the new frame.

Take out the bolts that you can, then try prying the plate off the frame with the remaining bolts in place.

373214 guest

Thanks, Jeron.

Yep, I got it done last night and didn't tighten things up too much. The previous bolts rusted and wouldn't back out because the sleeves came loose when I tried. I kept wondering if I could leave the new bolts loose, but use a combination of anti-sieze and threadlocker together on them. LOL!

Don

Jeron guest

I suppose the salty road spray caused the rust. I would put anti-seize on them. You will hear the plate rattle when you close the trunk if the bolts loosen.

373214 guest

Thanks, Jeron. Anti-sieze it will be.