Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Where are the 2 batteries in the 93 850

Discussion in 'E31 (1991-1997)' started by 4clubchamps, Sep 16, 2008.

4clubchamps guest

I have been told there are two batteries in my car, one is in the driver side trunk, I can't find the second, does anyone know where I can locate this second battery.

Thanks,

Stan
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Passenger side trunk

hipshot guest

In the trunk - one onleft one on right.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

granthr

Why two batteries? As if having 12 spark plugs was bad enough for maintenance!:rolleyes:

GR

Autohaus guest

I think one battery is to start up the car/charge up the alternator. The other battery is to power everything. Remember, the E31 has more wires and modules than any car had during its production time. Heck, it might have even more than the current BMW's :eek:

ladislav guest

It would have been better if you had not answered at all instead of incorrectly guessing at an answer. That's how stupid rumors get started.

The batteries are simply connected in parallel to provide more storage capacity and are not on separate circuits.

eam3

I had no idea that E31s had two batteries. How come the E32 750iL (basically the same thing but with 4 doors) only has one?

MGarrison

"I heard from someone on the internet (hence, it MUST be true!) that BMW, in their pre-production testing, transported a 8-car fleet of E31's to the MOON and back to assess extreme-condition performance. Word was, the challenge was providing the engines with oxygen so they could run on the moon's atmosphere-free surface. And, GET THIS, it's rumored there are THREE of these babies in the hands of private owners overseas, all painted with a moonlight blue-black two-tone paint scheme - EXTREMELY RARE! So, if you can ever get your hands one one, you'll know you've really got a one-of-a-kind BMW. So rare, in fact, that their serial numbers are unregistered, not in the BMW database, and don't follow BMW convention. The color tag, however, is a dead giveaway - it'll say 'mondlichtblauschwarz'. :D I also heard two or three of the other 'moonshot' E31's were left in Earth orbit and easily spotted with a telescope during solar eclipses.."

Oh... you mean, THAT kind of stupid rumor?? :p

(Really, No! It's True! It was on the INTERNET!!)

bcweir

Or you could try asking someone who OWNS one of these cars

The answer to the question of which cars got the second battery is: "It depends."

Nearly all Highlines got the second battery due to all of the optional extras these cars got in addition to regular 750iL equipment (a beverage cooler in the rear armrest, an extra stereo system, an extra climate control in the rear, lighted polished wood trays on the front seatbacks, as well as lots of extra switchgear, as well as a second alternator).

However the second battery was also an option that could be ordered separately, and was sometimes equipped in cars that came ordered with a mobile telephone. Keep in mind, this is way back in the 1980's. Cellular telephones were not these tiny marvels that you slipped into your shirt pocket back then. These were large, heavy, bagphone monstrosities that were analog, not digital and weighed between 10 to 25 pounds and were roughly the size and weight of a hardcover book. A dedicated car telephone hid most of the electronics inside the car's interior or trunk, placing the telephone either near the front console, or near the rear console on the Highlines.

The 8-series cars shared powertrains and some electronics with the E32 7-series and some E34 5-series cars. Because the 850's first appeared about the same time as the E32 and E34 cars midlife upgrade, they generally got all of the fancy toys that the midlife facelift cars got (improved remote access for the doors, a better electronic mirror, improved memory seats and an electronic tilt telescope wheel option). All of these toys require voltage and amperage, so the electrical system in these cars got an upgrade also to handle the demand. Since the 7's and 8's were more likely to be packed to the gills with electronics than the 5-series, more often you would see the second battery in those cars.

So the simple answer is that it depended on how the car was equipped.

For the record, my 750iL car was not originally equipped with a phone and was not equipped with a second battery. As my car is not a Highline and wasn't ordered with any second battery, my car lacks this option. However, BMW did specify a minimum of an 800 CCA battery for the 750iL's, so it's likely that the original battery spec was more than enough to supply my particular car's electronic needs.

These days, they make batteries much better than they used to. If your car only has one battery, you could probably accomplish the same thing much easier by upgrading to a battery with a higher CCA rating than going through the hassle of retrofitting your car with a dual battery system it wasn't originally equipped with.

ladislav guest

e32 != e31

Not when it comes to e31s. They all have two batteries.

It's pretty funny that you entitle your post as you and emphasize the word 'own' as you do not appear to own an e31. What you posted applies to other chassis series. Which begs the question, what is a post like yours doing in an e31 discussion thread?

Btw, I do happen to have two e31s. The assumption that there might be only one battery in an 8er is a very common e31 newbie error commonly found on e31 forums.

That's a very amusing signature on that post of yours. I do hope that you had your own helmet on and that the trees hug back.

az3579

Someone has their panties in a bunch.
    Instead of attacking other peoples' posts, please enlighten us. You don't have to get snarly with the population just to prove a point.

granthr

Not to mention they dug up a two year old post.

Thinking the same thing! :p BTW I don't own an E31 or know much about them. I remember the first time I saw one when I was a kid. For a split second I thought it was the new Corvette and then immediately noticed the Roundel. Then I just opened my mouth and drooled (not on the paint mind you). :D

eam3

Lighten up Francis. :rolleyes:

bcweir

What's really amusing...

...is that the REAL E31 owners know more about their cars, and are generally respectful towards others. The E31 owners that I have met were knowledgeable, polite, respectful, and delighted to show off their beautiful coupes.

It's a tiny minority of E31owners (snobs) that not only get their panties in a twist if anyone tries to tell them anything about their cars, but are also the clueless individuals who have to walk one or two circuits around their cars to find the gas flap to fill them up!!

I'm LMAO because Francis just announced to the whole world which group he belongs to (hint - it's not the first group I described).

The irony isn't lost on me. Beautiful car owned by a person with an ugly personality. While the rest of us are trying to overcome BMW's image as a brand driven by rich jerks, Jeeves here (I'm sorry, your name was Francis, right) will have to keep carrying a BUCKET of touchup paint with him to the golf course in anticipation of getting his vehicle keyed. :eek:

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hey, hey, hey

Let's all climb down off our high horses and knock off the snide confrontations, shall we? Brian? BRIAN?!

After all (sniff!), it's nearly The Holiday Formerly Known As Christmas. . . .

:D :D :D

bcweir

No problem, I'm good now, Satch.

Didn't take long at all to sort out. Merry Christmas everybody!

Autohaus guest

FYI that is what I read in an older Bimmer magazine so don't kill the messenger. You got a problem take it up with them.

Cheers.

MGarrison

Stripes! Gotta love it, what a classic comedy of the early 80's -

From the barracks scene where they're making introductions:

Psycho: The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

Leon: Ooooooh.

Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.
    :D
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083131/quotes?qt0483074

M3Driver guest

"That's the fact Jack...!!"