Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Whats a fair price for an 01 540ia with 100K

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by suss1173, Sep 14, 2008.

suss1173

I own a 2001 Titanium silver 540ia sport with 101,000k miles. It has premium and cold weather packages, (BMW) disc changer in the trunk, the only options the car doses not have are navigation, and park distance control.

I take excellent of my cars and keep all service records and receipts. Most of the usual 540 maintenance/ repairs were done over the last 18 months:
    Water pump, thermostat, alternator, serpentine belt, mass air meter, cam position sensors, oil and filter have been changed every 5,000- 6,000 miles with BMW synthetic oil.

The car was on autotrader.com and cars.com, but I have only had calls from used car dealers, tire kicker, or people that dont know the diff between a 540-and 540 sport or 530.

What is a fair price???
    Thanks,
    Michael S.
    I know that this is not the "classified" but if anyone is interested, you can pm me or e-mail at suss1173@aol.com

michael star guest

I would think anywhere from 12-13k as prices have dropped a lot recently. Maybe even less :(

Autohaus guest

Have you listed the car in the Roundel issue's? A CCA member would plunk down at least $13.5 for it. If it were 6-speed, she would have been sold already.

suss1173

Thant is what I thougt, I'm asking $13,500. thanks for the feed back.

figradio guest

My 2002 5401a has been sold "in my mind" at least 3 times in as many years. The problem is, every time i drive the car i love everything about it. I love the handling, acceleration, and style over anything BMW has come up with in the 5 series since. For the money, there simply is no better sedan out there. i'll put up with the cup holders for a few more years.

Fig

Autohaus guest

Just about the only flaw in the E39. Eh, real drivers don't need cupholders/cell phone holders/nose blower holders, etc... All we need is a bimmer and the open road :D

suss1173

You have a great point, it's a great car for the money and I think the best 4 door car you can buy for the price, power, handling, and style. However my wife is going to win on the new car debate so the 540 must go.

If anyone know someone looking for one like mine, please feel free to pass along my info.
    Thanks,
    Michael S

MFarisE39 guest

I love the titanium E39. I wish I had the cash, I'd take it. :)

figradio guest

I was being facetious. I never mentioned the word flaw. But, your son is very cute.

cbouchez

I'll be selling my wagon 540it with 114XXX soon, I think a good price would be at around $14,000.00 and come down a bit.

kbuicker guest

I've dropped mine from $19k to $15k trying to sell her. Mine has 67k miles, 19" rims, new tires, 03 front and rear fascias. etc. Plenty of bites, on one has come thru on the money.

MFarisE39 guest

That's pretty. :)

Autohaus guest

Thanks for the comment on my son :D. Old pic. He is about 20 months now. He can still fit is big head in that jester hat. We all must admit that the E39's cupholders are cheesy :(

figradio guest

I love those rims. Are they the original sizes? (front and back?)

suss1173

Any one?? $13,500 ----OBO--Any one have an offer???

FurryOne

You have to remember that most people see 2001 and think "oh, about $5K" because they're conditioned to Detroit iron, where the car they'd buy new would go for $25K. I'd been looking for a 2001 530i with at least the cold weather package here in upstate NY, and until a few weeks ago all I'd been able to find is one w/o the package, but with nose damage for $16K at a dealer here (my offer of $12K got laughs) I ended up grabbing one locally (for $11K) that had been on Ebay twice with no offers, and it has extras the $16K car didn't. One thing that kills the resale value in a Dealer's mind is going over 100K -- it's like a line in the sand. (mine has 80K)

suss1173

Thanks for the feedback. I think you are correct on both the 100k and the fact most people think of a new car coasting $25k-$30K. However any one with bimmer knowledge knows this car new was $60k and any BMW that is maintained will last long past 150k miles.

I hate to trade it in , but my wife is on my case and wants the new truck here... She thinks I'm trying my best to hold on to the car, but it must go and if I trade it in, I'll save about $1,100 in taxes on the X5.

If anyone here is contemplating this car or any clean 540ia, make me an offer and it can be yours..... At this point I'm open to all offers.....

suss1173

Sold!!! :( :( : :(

Autohaus guest

Say it ain't so :(

kbuicker guest

How much did you end up getting for it?

My rims are 19" staggered.

My car was sold monday and the guy flaked out on me today :(