Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

91 750IL - grounding problems?

Discussion in 'E32 (1988-1994)' started by dbogdan, Sep 12, 2008.

dbogdan guest

I'm having trouble with the tail lights and sometimes the parking lights. I notice when it rains everything works. When it's nice and dry, nothiing does or it's sporadic. I'm thinking it may be grounding issues. Now it appears the grounds are under the back seats? Lovely.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave

Oh, it's a 91 750IL
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Start with the grounds in the taillights themselves. The front lights are OK, though? The contacts at the bulbs themselves can sometimes corrode. Try cleaning and rebending them first.

dbogdan guest

grounding

Yes, the headlights are fine. It's just the parking and tail lights. Funny thing is both tail lights went out at the same time. I'm going to see if I have any voltage there also. I'll will do what you have mentioned first.

According to the Bentley manual, the grounds are under the rear seats. Does that sound right to you?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I meant the front marker lights and turn signals. Anyhow, there are clusters of grounds under the rear seats, but because you have power rear seats, they are a PITA to remove (more specifically, they are hard to re-install once out.) Check everything easy first. You may find the bulb holders pretty decayed, as that is a common problem. Good luck.

dbogdan guest

Will do. The turn signals work fine, but yes the marker lights are intermittent as well. Yes I know about the seats. I put in a new battery a year or two ago. The seat came out fine. I think it took me an hour to get it back in. I learned how to string many 4 letter words together to form very colorful sentences.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out.

Dave