Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Convertible Trunk Leaks

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mspoteet, Sep 9, 2008.

mspoteet

I have a 1990 e30 convertible that has a recurring trunk leak. Investigation led to the discovery that the hinged cover had been warped sometime in the past and does not fully contact the rubber seal on the drivers side. Has anybody run into this before, and how did you fix it? Can it be straightened? Are there supposed to be drain holes in the top storage compartment that should be cleaned out? Any other ideas on how to alleviate the leaks? Thicker weatherstripping?

boomer5

Are you sure the leak isn't coming from the third brake light?The brake light is a common source for leaks, and can be corrected with a new gasket.

Brian A

mspoteet: If your main trunk lid gasket is shot, it would be better to buy a new one rather than using ad hoc weather stripping. The trunk lid hinges probably have some adjustability to tighten it down on to the gasket too.

The lid doesn't warp, but may have been bent (somehow). In that case, a body shop might be able to finesse it back to straight. It really might just be an issue of adjusting the hinges.

I don't think there are any drain holes for the top storage compartment; the compartment should stay bone dry just like the trunk.

boomer5: I would like to replace my 3rd light gaskets (mine are patched up with silicone sealant). Who sells the gaskets alone? (Post a link.) I can only find people selling the whole 3rd light unit, including BMW NA.

boomer5

I bought a used brake light assembly from a convertible that was being parted out on craigslist for $50 shipped.Try theeurodepot.com ,they may be able to help you.

JayM guest

Your year will be before the single trunk lift strut was replaced by two (one per side). It's a common e30 cabrio problem - the single gas strut pushes up on the driver's side, almost at the very outboard of the lid. This applies torque to the lid, and eventually the alignment goes off, which makes the seal ineffective.

Remove the gas strut, realign and re-secure the trunk lid to the hinges, then re-install the strut. If the trunk mountings have not been bent, the lid should realign without any trouble, and if you secure it well, the strut will no longer push it out of alignment.

desertVert guest

Good call. I never understood how one strut was a good idea for long-term use.