Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Noisey in 40mph

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by desi brisco, Sep 8, 2008.

desi brisco guest

I have 318is when i start driving the car it run fine. atfer i start going 40mph an up it made this loud griding noise.Can someone help or tell me what the problem may be.thank you

chll69 guest

Can you explain it a little more in depth?? where is the sound coming from? Is there any sort of vibrations? does it get worse the faster you go?

desi brisco guest

The noise get louder as i go faster.The sound is like a up and down sound.it come from the passager side. front wheel area.

just1318is guest

more info like chll69 said would be helpful, but if its making a grinding noise with vibration above 40 it could be your driveshaft bearing and flex disc. is it making a squealing noise also? how many miles are on it, the driveshaft bearings don't go out but every 200k in the 318's as long as the flex disc is replaced at its proper interval and it's not totally beat on. hope this helps!

just1318is guest

it could possibly be your brake caliper dragging also, does the noise go away while braking? or when you go around turns?

chll69 guest

I agree with the drive shaft guibo! i know i just replaced mine yesterday. The affect that had when it was worn was when driving above 30 or so if i let off the gas it would start making noise and giving a SLIGHT vibration. definantly could be the problem! Checking the caliper on the passenger side might be a good idea too
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

My vote is front right wheel bearing. Does the sound change when you turn? If so, it is probably a wheel bearing.

CRKrieger

Two votes for the front wheel bearing.

Diagnosis is easy. It should make more noise when turning one way than it does the other.