Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4 broken cup holder

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Österreich, Sep 3, 2008.

Österreich guest

After a 15 yr hiatus, I'm back w/ a '04 Z4 Roadster (2.5 - maldives). The Z4 is quite an upgrade from the old ' 84 318i .

Has anyone else had issue with the Z4's cup holder? If this question is better suited for the DIY board, please let me know.

The driver's cup holder regurgitated a small, tightly coiled, cylindrical spring. Since the spring fell to the floorboard, the cup holder stays in the dash. I don't want to force it and the dealership wants $100 to repair/replace the cup holder.

If I take this challenge to repair, will I need to take most of the dash apart or is there a simple solution to this.

Suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Österreich

Jim Z4M 07 guest

Not sure if this will help; when the cup holder on my 07 ZM sticks I gently pry it with my fingernail. It slides out. You could use a tooth pick or wooden tongue depressor. But the key word is gentle. When it is open you should see a phillips head screw. I think that will allow you to remove the whole cup holder assembly.
    Again this is on an 07 Z4 M and it may be a little different on yours.
    Enjoy your ride!

330indy1

pics please

;)

marcmergen guest

Cupholder

The cup holders in the Z4 was an afterthought: "Mir habe wos vergesse, I moan mir brauchen oi Platzel wo's the Cola stelle" (Translation - loosely: "Dammit! We forgot something! Where the @*#(# am I gonna put my Coke??")
    I am a longtime BMW owner, and just picked up a Z4M Coupe in South Carolina, one of the last built. I was aware of the afterthought cup holder. So after 1200 mile "break in run": Spartanburg, SC , Charleston, SC, Richmond, VA Virginia Beach, VA, back to NY via the Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ route I brought the car to the 1200 mile inspection at my local BMW dealer (Prestige)
    The service advisor recommended the accessories cup holder for the Z4. I bought it ($96) and installed it myself... Well, I love that accessory -- from Venti Starbucks to a MickeyD large one, it does the job, but it can also be conveniently removed and hidden away for those days when I don't want anything to interfere with the full manual driving experience.
    :)

Österreich guest

Thanks everyone - this is what makes message boards worthwhile.

I'm gonna visit my service adviser about the $96 cupholder. If I get one that works, it'll be worth swapping a Ben Franklin. The original, as stated before, wasn't "trustworthy."

I'll also work on the pic.

Österreich

Jim Z4M 07 guest

pics

I couldn't get my camera to resolve a good image of the screw placement, but I think you may have the right solution and Ben would be proud to be put to such good use

marcmergen guest

Its not a screw

Actually its a glue in application, the screw is to hold in the cupholder.
    it takes 2 minutes to mount no tools necessary
    www.driveprestige.com under accessory for Z4 M coupe in interior, it also gives the partnumber: 82 11 0 142 173

hope this helps, but $96 will pay back soon, since you won't be spilling your cup of joe's on your lap while driving ;)

TheGentrys2001 guest

Would love a pic...

Would love a pic of your option! That sounds like a good investment to me.

PM me if you wouldn't mind...or email!

TheGentrys2001 guest

Thanks for the link! I haven't looked yet...seems to me that when I do look at that site, I might be racking up the credit card! HAHAHAHA!

jrkriebel

Z44Me guest

Try Unlimate Cupholder

I have this one in my Z4: http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/ It works great. My BMW cupholders never broke, although the drivers side is a bit sticky, but I didn't like the tippyness especially when anything larger than a canned soda was inserted. I know it looks like it would be a pain to get to your drink, but in the Z you are so close to the floor it's not a problem.

Österreich guest

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

I forgot to post but I went with the http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

Now that we've used it for a while, I can give an accurate endorsement. It's everything it claims to be and the price is fair. If my OEM cupholder worked fine, I would still consider the Ultimate Cupholder, because of its superiority.

Thanks for the advise

rspeser

Cup Holder

I have the genuine BMW accessory cup holder and after one minute to put it in, have been extremely satisfied with it in form and function. Use your CCA number and it is cheaper still. One point of caution, be extremely careful with the adhesive promoter because it will show afterward if you get it on an area outside of the dimensions of the base.

John in VA