Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e28 Valve Cover Torque Specs

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by liv2drv, Sep 3, 2008.

liv2drv guest

Just noticed I am missing 5 valve cover nuts, very curious..

The book says 80lbs of torque but this seems excessive for such small nuts. Does anyone know if this is true?

rodpaine

Dave,
    The correct tightening torque is 80 in-lbs (inch pounds) ±9 in-lbs, not 80 ft-lbs! That kind of torque would result in snapping the valve cover studs off! Is that why you're missing five nuts?
    -Rod
    Rod's E28 Website

liv2drv guest

That is funny right there. I actually have not put any back on yet, I had to order them. It just perplexes me as to how they got away. I have not had the valves adjusted this summer and it is always stored in the winter. I guess someone needed them more than me. Thanks for the info, Mike Miller gave me the same advice a little while ago.

Thanks again..

kraigka

What's Is The Valve Cover Tightening Sequence

What or where is the valve cover tightening sequence for this E28 vehicle. And do the number start left to right when you look at the valve cover or from the front of the engine??

CRKrieger

For the valve cover, I doubt it's so critical as to require a sequence. I'd start in the middle and work toward the ends.