Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 to tii conversion

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by AIREDALE, Aug 29, 2008.

AIREDALE guest

I have a perfectly serviceable '76 2002 and I am able to buy a rusted out '74 tii.

I think it will make an interesting winter project to 'clone' a tii.

As far as I can tell I will have to plan on the following in addition to the engine:

1. Front struts and brakes

2. Differential

3. Fuel return system

Besides this what else should I plan on? I'd like to stay as close to stock other than the stuff below.

I intend a full teardown of the engine since it has sat for 12 years and will probably send the Kugelfischer out to have it resealed professionally so if anyone knows someone in NY/NJ/CT or MA they can recommend pls let me know.

Then I will also do a 5 speed conversion, the 320 radiator and give her a nice shiny Granatrot paint job.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That Kugefischer pump is expensive to reseal. I'd find out before I messed with it. Try a diesel injection place (seriously) as it is a very similar system. The tii system is difficult to work with and tune, so read up. You need to fit the fuel pump as well - a very expensive high volume pump. I had to replace one on a customer car once. I think it was over $400. Chances are if that car sat, it needs one. Those calipers may be siezed, so plan on rebuilding them. Good luck.

Arash2002tii guest

You're 02 is on its way to becoming a clone of mine. I also took the clutch from the tii as its bigger, don't know if this really matters unless you're adding horsepower but I just thought I should say. Good luck!

AIREDALE guest

Thanks - well I bought the donor yesterday and will trailer it home next week, strip the front & rear suspensions, engine & driveline, the seats and dash, strip out the doors and glass, and any miscellaneous parts like the lights etc. Whatever I dont us will be posted here and at FAQ for sale.

The diff is a longneck - any way to tell if the vehicle was LSD?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

With the rear of the car in the air, try to spin the wheels in opposite directions by hand. If you can, it is not LSD (or the LSD is worn out.) If they only want to spin in the same direction, it is LSD. It needs to be in neutral to try this.