Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Shine Question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Questdoug, Aug 28, 2008.

Questdoug guest

What is the best product to use on your tires to keep them black and new looking??

M3Driver guest

kkratoch

298509 guest

Questdoug guest

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will try a few and see what works best for me.

CRKrieger

Tires don't shine.

Yech!

bradley01 guest

I use this:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG G7516

It lasts a very long time and you only have to apply very little to get a very nice shine! Also very little spin off!

I have tried the spray-on stuff and I don't like it! I only get a few uses out of a can of spray, and it doesn't last as long. Go with the wipe-on kind!

Arash2002tii guest

THANK YOU. I though I was the only one that didn't like tire shine.

bradley01 guest

I like my tires to look "clean black". Not have that weathered, brownish look to them. Tire "shine" is a great product IMHO!

Bimmerdan

I'm not a huge fan of the greasy, wet looking tires so I just scrub them clean and leave it at that. A good friend of mine used to treat his tires EVERY weekend though. After about two years he noticed that it looked like the clear coat was peeling off his wheels. It turns out the spray-on tire shine had built up so thick on the wheels from the overspray, that it literally looked like peeling clear coat. It took him weeks to finally get it all off.

So...if you plan to use tire shine on a regular basis, be sure you protect the wheels!!

CRKrieger

Nope. Not by a long shot. Every scrutineer I know who checks 'lunchtime touring' cars at the races hates it. The stuff leaves a nearly indelible stain on your knee or your gloves or your hands when you shake the wheels to check the bearings. If it happens to be on the tread area, it generates 'negative traction', if you know what I mean. Once heard of a Jaguar parked in a mall that had to be pushed out because its entirely-Armor-All'ed tires couldn't get enough traction to move it on the smooth floor.

If you want clean tires the color they are supposed to be, use Westley's Bleche-Wite, a scrub brush, and water rinse. That is all. The MSDS is here.

You can read about all your other favorites here.

M3Driver guest

Agreed; the Griott's product seemed to be the best one for a flat-black or satin finish.....

194648 guest

Have had great results with

Zaino16 Tire treatment. doesnt leave grease all over you or the car, leaves the tires black with no shine, but looking like new, and lasts a long time in wet weather.
    DanF

M3Driver guest