Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Any suggestions on putting a euro license plate on my 135i?

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by earlyss, Aug 27, 2008.

earlyss guest

i just purchased the 135i convertible and it is killer! im so happy with it but i would like to put a german license plate on the front. the problem is that there doesnt appear to be any way to attach it and i don't want to damage the front of the car in any way. is there a way to do this or do they make the automobiles destined for north america without this feature? any help or advice will be appreciated.

Jonathan Spira guest

Most license plates are screwed directly into the bumper. That's why the car comes with those colored screw caps incidentally (to match the white and blue of the plate). You can also order a plate holder (which then gets screwed into the bumper) from a dealership, possibly even a U.S. dealership if you get the part number.

2AD Tanker

Look online or get a catalog from Bavarian Motorsports. They have plates and mounting brackets - along with a lot of other BMW stuff.

Bimmerdan

The standard mode of mounting is to drill holes directly through the front of the bumper cover and just screw the plate down. That's why I opted to not have my front plate mounted, I don't want anybody putting holes in the front of my brand new car!!

A couple of 1 series owners have mounted their plates with the bracket that screws into the tow hook mounting hole. It's offset to one side but it's legal and there are no permanent holes! Here's a link for it... http://gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html

2AD Tanker

oops!

Sorry, the correct information is BAVARIAN AUTOSPORT not motorsports.

EJM05 guest

bimmian.com

I have a 135i and just placed an order from there and it will be coming in soon.

incognito335i guest

Here's the solution:

Go to Bimmian.com , click the 1 series, then scroll down to accessories. You'll see a Euro tag plate attachment for your Euro tag. If you have problems finding it, let me know. email me at incognito335i@yahoo.com

lgilbertson

I have mine mounted using double sided tape like it was mounted when I picked it up in Munich.

hcoffield

I used the double sided foam tape that you can find at CVS or WalGreen's pharmacy or any other general retailer even Lowe's or Home Depot has it. Clean the paint with isoprophyl alcohol as well as the back of the tag. You only have one chance to place it once you apply the tape to the back of the tag so measure twice, cut once as they say. I have Europlates on several of my cars, I didn't want to drill holes either. If you ever want to remove them, get some heavy duty dental floss and pull the floss between the tape and the plate and it will come off with a little mild sawing back and forth. If you try to pull it off of the car for some reason, it will bend the plate.

BMW4ME

Congratulations on your new car. I hope to order a 1 Series next year and do ED and have it shipped to the Performance Center for pick up. Can't wait! I have a 2005 ED 330ci. When looking to purchase a holder for the license plate, I found them to be too long as the Euro Delivery plate is only 18 inches, and the holders that vendors had were a couple of inches longer to fit the standard european plate which includes the "D" inside the European Union circle of stars. I ended up purchasing the larger holder and then cut about 2 inches out of it and then glued it together so it would fit the plate I had. Unfortunately, there were already holes in the bumper in Munich, so I painted the screws. Good luck, and enjoy.

granthr

BMW4ME

jbenington86 guest

I have euro plates and plate holders.... I got them from my dealer in germany I picked my car up from :D