Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Car covers

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 2AD Tanker, Aug 26, 2008.

2AD Tanker

I am considering purchasing a car cover for use in winter time so when my car is parked outside at work it is protected from all the snow.

I always notice in the spring a lot of fine scratches in the paint from sweeping the snow off the car.

My 135i is two months old and has yet to see a winter and I would like to keep it as perfect as possible.

Anyone have any experience and advice?

Thanks!

granthr

Hello. I have a noah car cover that I bought from Bavarian Autosport. I would check them out, they have many different kinds and qualities. Some heavy and some thin. A thin one might be nice if you are going to be putting it on everyday. It will take up less space in your trunk and might be easier to put on. The noah cover I have is on the heavery side. It has been a great cover and it is custom fit to my M3. Keeps the dust off and since it is thick, protects against small bumps. Great for when in the garage!

I cannot speak to how it handles snow b/c I have always used mine indoors. I have heard of covers freezing to cars and pulling up paint when the person carelessly pulls the cover off. That might be more of an issue with older paint though.

Maybe someone else can give their input as the snow issue.

GR

2AD Tanker

Thanks for the info. And that's what I am wondering if a cover in the snow would help or just make trouble for removing it when full of snow.

incognito335i guest

car cover!!!

I'm a car cover person. I recommend that you buy a car cover from california car cover company. I bought 3 car covers from them. They have all types. Go to yahoo.com and type in california car cover company. Call them, and explain what type you want. I had 2 that were thick, but the only problem with those is that when it rains on it, the cover gets soaked. The other one I had is very thin, and feels like a fleece material. It definitely repells water, but it's very slippery to the car surface when attempting to put it on, so it slides all over the place when putting it on the car.

194648 guest

Im also a car cover fanatic !

Been using them since 1969. California Car Cover will have alot of types as mentioned above, and I have been using them for probably 10 years or more.
    The lighter ones are slippery on clean waxed paint, and sometimes you need a helper to be on one side with you on the other.
    It will come rolled up, usually from front to back, so start at the front hood, unroll it towards the back of your car, then pull each side down, resting each side on the side mirror, then go back and pull one side down over the mirror, put the mirror in the pocket,
    then the other side. Now go to front or back, doesnt matter, and pull it over the hood or trunk, go back and adjust it so it covers the wheels and tires, evenly on both sides, and completely covers front and back and you are done.
    To remove, pull up front, try to get the sides off the mirrors and laying on top of the mirrors, . then go pull up the back. Then fold up each side, so its on top of the vehicle all the way front to back. Then go to the back, and begin to roll the cover up straight in the center of the trunk, keeping the sides even, and you will end up with this roll that should be less than the width of your car. Put it in the bag they gave you or just put it in the trunk.
    It is harder to put on or take off a light cover in windy conditions, dont stress if it falls on the ground, just pick it back up, make sure its not carrying anything with it, and put it back on, or take it off ,whichever you were doing.
    If you use it all the time, you will find that you will not need to wash your car alot, because even that dust that falls on it right after you wash it, will not be able to do that. :)
    Good luck, DanF

dma0413

Is there anywhere I can get a used car cover for my e90 M3? Everywhere I look these things are like $400!

MGarrison

bluewagon

The best way to keep snow from scratching your BMW is to move to warm climate state.
    Do that or get very friendly with a random orbital polisher.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Having spent too much of my life where it snows, I say definitely go with a car cover. Even now, in sunny SoSoCal, we have BavAuto covers for the 335i and the roadster. In snow country, a cover like ours---we have the shiny ones, allegedly the Way Cool Hot Set-up---allows you to get the snow off without dragging it across the paint.

bluewagon

What happens when you have a car cover on during a freezing rain storm.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, in Alaska, the rain falls pre-frozen! I did get an ice storm in Portland once. I just grabbed the bottom of the cover and flang it like a bedsheet, and the snow/ice/sleet mixture cracked and flew off.

bluewagon

What would have Happened if your cover was not waterproof? It could have frozen on to your Car.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Actually, that happened one with a flannel cover: About half of the flannel thickness stayed frozen to the car!

bluewagon

I hope you were able to drive the car into a warm garage to have it thaw out.
    bluewagon

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Naaah. Just chipped off the ice with a windshield scraper...
    :eek:

wgarrjr

A little trick I learned with a slippery cover: roll-out enough of the front of the cover to allow for coverage of the hood/front, but tuck it gently under the windshield wiper(s) and roll out the rest of the cover over the windshield and the roof of the car, and down the back window. Tug it partially over the trunk, then put it over the mirrors. Now finish putting it over the rear of the car and go to the front, release it from the windshield wiper(s), and pull it over the hood. I finally figured this out after about a year of chasing my slippery cover around the car! It works pretty well in moderately windy conditions too.