Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Thinking of a new 328xi

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by rerubin, Aug 22, 2008.

rerubin guest

Anyone own a 2008 328xi sedan? Thinking of buying one. (Trading my 2004 745li for something smaller and more agile). I want a 6 speed and the dealer has one for about $40K, equipped with Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, iPod connection, and Xenons.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

xanaduguy

i bought a 328xi 2008 and I love it.. I got cold weather pkg, sattellite rasio and comfort access and premium package. 6 speed..

the only gripe on the 6 speed is the same on I have with any car... if caught in stop and go traffic it eventually loses its charm.. only to be a blast again when traffic starts moving again. :)

wish I also added sport package and possibly Idrive. the sport seats rock! of course I foudn this out after I got mine and went to the chicago auto show and sat in a 335 with sport seats and a 328 with sport seats... sigh
    live and learn.

rerubin guest

Thanks for the advice. Ironically one of the things I orginally liked about my 7 series was the automatic transmission for the very reason you state -- heavy traffic. But I miss the manual; you just feel so much more involved with the car.

xanaduguy

i definitely agree.. my only word of advice is make sure you get the items you want on it the first time around. I decided to be choosey and well I wish I added the few things I dont have now... most notable the sport seats with the extender under the knees... I am a big guy (6'3") and the extra support for long legs woudl have been nice.

the winter package and the ski bag frankly are one of the best items I have ever had on a car.

My next 3 will have all the items I wanted in this one... good thing I just leased my current model. my next one I am gonna buy and keep. :) :D

bmw is the first car tha I have ever owned that makes me not interested in owning anything but BMW... very odd for me.. but I like it! :D

bendersae guest

I've got a 2007 328xi with the options your looking at. I love the car. The xDrive is amazing, last winter we had a storm with over 20" of snow in Columbus, OH. I had to make a couple trips out during the storm and it never caused me worry. The only problem was when I encountered a high bank created by a plow.

kmccorma guest

I just bought a 2007 328xi used from the dealer with less than 8K miles on it. It was a BMW corporate car that has EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE for a 3-Series. It even has has the upgraded sport seats. This car rocks and it is parked right next to our 2007 525i. Whoever ordered this car wanted everything and I got if all for under $37K including certification and extended warranty.

Good luck!

marcmergen guest

(Wife talking): Have a 328xi coupe -- Premium, Cold Weather, xenon, iDrive, Steptronic, paddle shifters -- I think the only thing it didn't come with is the Heads Up (not in 3's) or manual -- I do love the car and bad weather poses no problem at all. Paddle shifters are a gas (since I never learned to drive a manual, it was a gentle entry since we also recently picked up a new Z4M coupe -- glad the first clutch is on BMW...). :rolleyes:

I agree with Xanaduguy. Get everything you want on the car the first time around or go for a couple of years swearing to yourself "Dammit, I shoulda". I think if I had my druthers, tho, I would have upped for the extra ponies in a 335. Not that the 328 is slow -- but after having my head snapped back by the Z4M a few times, I'm getting used to the sensation of pulling G's and it's hard to go back. :eek:

kmccorma guest

I would have like the 335 also, but on second thoughts the turbos would be just something that would fail later down the line. The 328 with less stress on the motor will last as long as I keep it.

BIMMIR guest

I had a 328xi, the car was a tank in the snow - just outstanding!

As someone else said, the only issue at all is ground clearance. Even so, if it's a reasonable depth, you'll go right through.
    If you live in a snowy area you'll be pleased.

You'll enjoy the 328xi. So much fun I'm se.lling mine to upgrade to a 335xi

Bluestar guest

You'll love the 3 Series

Whether you get the 328 or 335, it's a fun car with great gas mileage (depending on how heavy of a foot you have). The '09 328i ordered for the wife is due here in late Oct..

devauxb guest

So I got a 2008 328xi with the EXACT options on the OP's list.

I was limited to a budget, so chose options and packages very carefully, trying to strike that balance.

Sports package/seats: I tried both out but for me, actually found the normal seats a better fit. I'm 6'2", heavier than I need to be and well let's say, I'm getting accosted with AARP offers. For a car that I plan on using everyday, I found the regular seats also easier to get in and out of. I also wanted the standard 16" wheels because of the pot holes I anticipate not being able to avoid, slightly less harsh ride over the 17" and 18", and to be honest I find them attractive.

I-pod: I really like the integration. Not nearly as slick as the I-Pod native interface, but definitely functional. The I-Drive version is definitely slicker. But I didn't get I-Drive because of the cost, fear of it becoming out of date (2009s have a new and improved system - that would have bugged me). I also have a Garmin Zumo (I ride motorcycles too) that suits me just fine for those times I need navigation.

Xenon: I live in heavily deer populated country and I wanted all the ammo I could get. These are awesome and I really like the adaptive (look around the corners) feature.

6-speed: I admit to being a diehard manual fan. I drive in traffic, but the clutch is just right light and the shifter so sweet. Even in heavy traffic, I don't really think about the manual, it just 'happens' subconsciously, maybe its years of use and muscle memory. I love it.

Premium: I hemmed and hawed about to leather or not. Once I made my mind up to leather up, having all the extra luxury touches that come with the Premium seemed like the way to go for me. I can't get Homelink to work as I apparently have the only Garage Door Opener manufactured that is not compatible.

Cold Weather: This will be my first winter with the car, but am definitely looking forward to the heated seats. I had them in a Subaru I once owned and have missed that feature. I really like the flexibility of the fold down rear seats. Not sold on the headlamp washers yet, maybe winter will change my mind.

Once you decide and commit, never look back!

marcmergen guest

The homelink garage door opener, it works fine with 95% of garage door openers. If you have a garage door opener with rolling codes you need to call an 800 number and they will set you up.
    will post the number when I get in the office tomorrow:p