Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Embarassing Brake Bleeding Situation

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by AIREDALE, Aug 22, 2008.

AIREDALE guest

Bought a '76 2002 which had really hard brakes, I mean harder than any other car including various other '02's ('72, '73 & '74) I've ever had. Tough to press and took quite a stomping to make the vehicle stop, got used to it and drove it around for a while.

An annoying thing would be a rusty caliper (these are the 4 piston ATE's) squeal usually on a left turn which could be quickly quieted by a tap on the brakes until the next time.

Since I'm doing a step-by-step resto and upgrade (5 speed, 320 radiator & alternator plus some bodywork) I figure to replace the caliper which I do.

I bleed the car and no pedal. No leaks, just no pedal.

I replace the MC with a new ATE MC and bleed - no pedal, same thing - no pedal.

I but a Motive pressure bleeder and - no pedal.

BUT when the Motive is pressurized at 10-15 psi and screwed into the reservoir, voila - pedal, nice, firm pedal.
    :eek:
    I am stumped. And the car (and driver) would look pretty silly riding around with a bloody big pressure tank.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Sounds like air in the master. Try this:
    Fill reservoir
    crack lines loose at the master and let them bleed out the air (make sure you wash away the brake fluid quickly.)
    Then bleed each caliper starting with the right rear, left rear, right front, left front and see if that helps. Usually I "bench bleed" the master before putting it on, but you can't always do that.

AIREDALE guest

Will do and thanks.

AIREDALE guest

Son went and got another new caliper for the pass side - replaced it and everything AOK thanks again.