Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

EZ Pass Woes

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by Darol Lain, Aug 19, 2008.

Darol Lain guest

We just purchased a 750Li in July and absolutely love the car; however, our EZ Pass transponder won't work because of the sensor in the windshield. The lovely PA Turnpike only has one other option -- a "bumper mount" plate. Unfortunately, it is flat and doesn't conform to the front bumber of the 750Li. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a known workaround that won't mess up this beautiful car?
    • Staff

steven s

Do you have a moonroof?

Darol Lain guest

Yes. The only problem is that I'll have to convince my wife to hold the transponder when she goes through the toll booth...

Jonathan Spira guest

Isn't there a "clear" zone near the rear-view mirror for placing a transponder? Not sure about the 750i but a lot of cars have a zone for this.

Darol Lain guest

I will check it out. Maybe we rushed to judgement on making it work from within the front windshield.

Jonathan Spira guest

Did you RTFM? :D

odets guest

In California the state provides an external mount (license plate) transponder that I was able to attach just behind the radiator grill to one of the two diagonal support pieces. I used some nylon cable ties. It works fine.

Walt

Darol Lain guest

Thanks Walt. We will give it a try.

Darol Lain guest

Walt -- thanks for the help. Your recommendation worked great. For the record, I did read the manual of both the BMW 750Li and the EZ Pass transponder. The area behind the rear view mirror is not large enough for the EZ Pass transponder to work properly. In fact, the interference is caused by the sensor that automatically turns on the windshield wipers when it rains.

odets guest

Darol-

The California transponder will actually work in the area around the rear view mirror, but I didn't want to leave it up there permanently because of the appearance and it was awkward to hold it up there when going through a toll. It would not, however, function through the area in the lower part of the windshield for reasons I don't know. This area is different in appearance from the one around the mirror--less clear and with some kind of visible grid in the glass. The behind-the-grill solution seemed best to me and I'm glad it worked for you. I don't have to think about it now.

I don't generally speed more than five mph or so, but I did have a K40 "hidden" radar detector installed in this car. This uses antennas behind the rear bumper and the front grill and this, of course, also overcomes the problem of the windshield. I imagine that the lower area in the windshield is intended for radar detectors, but I don't know and don't know if they work well through this.

I am sure enjoying this car, a 2008 short wheelbase with sports package and every other option BMW offers. I didn't have much choice because the radar cruise control was mandatory for me (I've used it on a Mercedes and wouldn't have a car without it now) and there were very few cars with this option installed.

Walt

Darol Lain guest

It appears that part of my problem was unique to EZ Pass, because of the size of the transponder as well as the frequency it uses. With that said, I was able to get the transponder to work in the fashion that you suggested. I really appreciate the fact that you shared your work around with me.

This car is absolutely phenomenal. It combines the power & handling of a sports car in a luxury sedan package like nothing I've ever driven. I'm also impressed with the improvements BMW has made with the navigation system & iPhone integration. All of the technology inside the car is intuitive and easy to use. If you haven't done it yet, make sure you try out the active cruise control capability -- it's amazing.

whatfie

I have had no problems either in Florida with their "Sun Pass" or in California with the "EZ Pass" transponders located behind and on the left side of the rear view mirror as high as possible and close to the mirror mount/rain sensor housing. The BMW designated area is visible, so be sure to fit the transpoder in this area. As a note, I have a 2006 750Li.

Good luck

rspeser

Florida has a new Sun Pass that is simply a small RF ID Chip in a small square that is attached to the windshield. There are no batteries, simply the small chip. I have it mounted near the rearview mirror and the rain sensitive wipers do not interfere with it. Maybe Calif will come up with the smaller solution to get their money.