Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheel Bearings

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by ervintim, Aug 14, 2008.

ervintim guest

This is my first post. Great forum with a lot of great information. My question is:
    When attempting to change out the front wheel bearings on my 2002 530 (E39) i found that the hub was frozen to the carrier. I got the four bolts out that were securing the hub to the carrier, but from that point the hub wouldn't budge. Am I missing some step here, or do I just need to get more aggresive with it. Looking at the new hub/bearing assembly, it appears that there is a ridge that fits into the carrier. Could this just be rusted in place? And if so what suggestions are there for freeing it. Thanks in advance, this forum has already been a life-saver for me!

hefferonjm guest

The most common way to remove the hub once you have unfastened it is to use a slide hammer with a hub attachment. A regular slide hammer will do the trick but you must be careful not to cock the hub to one side, the risk is ruining the carrier's inner surface and the hub permanently sticking in the carrier. The attachment bolts to the hub mounting points to allow for equal force all the way around the hub.

ervintim guest

Thanks for the tip hefferonjm. But it's in my mechanic's hands now. I appreciate your quick response!