Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rubber Windshiled Moulding on 530i

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Joseph7820, Aug 12, 2008.

Joseph7820 guest

I have a 2003 BMW 530i that is used in a very hot climate and the black rubber moulding that goes around the front windshield has become deteriorated, brittle and is comming off in small pieces on the top.

Has anyone has any first hand experience in replacing this rubber moulding?

Also, can just the top portion be replaced or does the complete moulding have to be replaced?

alotawatts

McCandless guest

VGates guest

Joseph

I replaced the windshield seal a few months ago. I bought it from pelican parts for under $50 and was able to install it myself in about 20 minutes. Read the other posts and DIY listings for details. This is the first repair I've done to my e39 and it was incredibly easy. The old seal peels out in crusty little chunks and with a small piece of wood I was able to gently scrape out all the the remaining rubber. The new seal went in with thumb pressure and a little patience in lining up the corners and the end pieces that tuck in at the hood line. This little repair made my car look much better and I should have done it sooner. It also helped boost my confidence. Our cars are complicated but with the help of other owners we can keep them in top shape. Go for it.

The seal is one piece and covers the left, right and top.