Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Annoying clucking sound while idling after a drive

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by CryNoMo, Aug 5, 2008.

CryNoMo guest

I have a e92 M3 with 1260 miles and recently I've noticed a very annoying clucking sound coming below the engine chassis. Very annoying, like a cow bell sometimes. BMW mechanic says it normal.... Im still in awe that something like that passed BMW QC process at the plant.

anybody else experience the same?

wanesso

No, not on the M3 but on a Toy.Sequoia I had a similar noise which was a loose fan belt.

CryNoMo guest

well the e92 M3 has 1600 miles, and I didnt get to notice it until after the 1200 service insp. What could have been done, since they only did oil chge, tranny fluid chge, rear differential fluid and cabin air filter ? But I'll investigate under the hood further..
    thks

any other thoughts are welcomed :)

dougc guest

I also have a "clunking noise" - mine occurs at the end of breaking. It does not happen all of the time, but does it occur frequently. Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to replicate it on demand- so the dealer has not been able to fix the problem. It is quite annoying!

CryNoMo guest

Im occasionally still experiencing it, took it to the dealer once mid-wk and the problem dissappeared while I was trying to show it to them. I drove it out the service bay in dismay and embarrasment that I could prove it. But this sound is annoying when it shows up, and definitely you know that its not normal. I've got only 1800 miles, bought 4 weeks ago. Its a intermittent issue.

dougc guest

My car has 2600 miles and the noise started after I took it in because of an a/c malfunction issue. They fixed the a/c...but now I have this very annoying intermittent noise. ADDITIONALLY, when I brake, occassionally the steering wheel vibrates, AND makes the noise. I have had the car to the dealer twice and they have been able replicate...just not consistantly. So they never know if it is properly fixed. I love the car...but am very frusterated!!!

BMWtoyz guest

Steering wheel vibration when braking can often be the side effect of warped brake rotors.

nmurray guest

Oh yes, my dealer says it is normal to get the clunks even when not moving due to the M DCT transmission. Not sure if you have this or the 6M. Very annoying.

az3579

When will dealers get it into their heads that sounds like that are NOT NORMAL on a $60k+ car? Or any car, for that matter... :mad:

It's upsetting that the dealers are saying more and more oddities are "normal".

dougc guest

Mine is a 6 speed manual. Dealer has already changed out the rotors. I would think that if it were the rotors, the vibe would occur more consistantly? I am going to just take the car to the dealer and let them keep it for several days. They seem overly concerned about rushing to get the car back to me and don't take the time to diagnose/test properly.

CryNoMo guest

well, currently still the same intermittent issue especially if the car hasnt been driven in a long time the noise still prevails. Intermittent however, still an annoyance. One time I had to slight rinse the engine and after I started it, it was unusually loud that my neighbor accross the street noticed it, it came back to normal after a few minutes. Just embarrassing it came from a new M3. Its ok now but my last e46 M3 never had noise like these and it was used when I bought it.

I wonder how Dougc came up after the dealership service?

dougc guest

low and behold...my problem is now fixed. The issue got progressively worse and not only did the noise get more frequent, but the steering began to vibrate upon braking and even sharp turns! I took my car to the dealer and told them to keep it as long as they needed it. After 4 days of test driving and troubleshooting, they fixed the problem(s). Ultimately, they needed to "tighten some bolts that were not set to bmw specs". I am not really sure what this means...but it did the trick and the car now runs perfect. I wonder how dangerous the problem could have been? I probably should inquire more into the problem/solution, but for now, I am just happy it is running well.

CryNoMo guest

Well good to hear that dougc, I like to do the same but I dont know if I trust the dealership to have my car for more than a day. I heard some stories of how mileage racks up when you pickup the car ... but its just natural for them take it for a long test drive.

I guess :confused:

dougc guest

Funny you should be concerned about the dealership putting unnecessary miles on your car. Did I mention that this is my 2nd M3. I originally had an 03 convertible. I took it to the dealer last November when the alternator light came on. Several hours later I got a call from the dealer who said they fixed the problem...but unfortunately, when the mechanic took it for a test drive (was this necessary for an alternator change?) and yes, he TOTALLED MY CAR! :(

Not a fun call to get! Ultimately, the dealer treated me VERY well...but...you never know how your car is being treated when it is out of your scope!

CryNoMo guest

thats quite a story doug

but just any update ... I saw an exact same color combo of my car at Fairfax BMW and it was such a good deal being an 2009, DCT with the new iDrive that I couldnt refuse the GMst offer,.my payment are almost the same!

I've traded up my 08 e92 6MT M3 to a 09 e92 DCT M3, and the driving difference is amazing

;) Good Job on the M3 DCT BMWNA !

and thks Fairfax BMW!

BMWguy206 guest

Hey guys!

If you have a M3 produced up to 6/08 and complaining of a rattle noise coming from the front wheel area over rough or bumpy roads, then BMW has a fix on this issue. It has to do with the backing plate for the brake rotor.

However, a noise at idle could be something else most likely engine related.