Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Locking wheel lugs

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Aug 5, 2008.

az3579

I'm trying to get some new wheels for my car but the Tire Rack says that they don't have any wheel locking lugs for my car . Does anybody know of any other manufacturer that has these locking lugs for an E30 325e?

It would be a shame if I mounted my wheels and my car would end up on cinder blocks the next morning...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Bollocks. There are at least a couple of manufacturers of locking lug bolts for BMW. Go to Bavarian Autosport or BMP design, or possibly Turner Motorsport or Pelican Parts.

az3579

Right, but the problem is, will they be compatible with any of the wheels I'm interested in purchasing?

Tire Rack doesn't have much of a selection and I can't seem to find 15" Basketweaves (4-lug) ANYWHERE (do they even exist?), so I have to resort to the small selection I've got on TR. They say they don't have any locks for any of the wheels they carry for my car.

Wheels I'm interested in purchasing are:

(in no particular order)
    O.Z. Ultraleggera
    O.Z. Superturismo GT
    O.Z. Record

They say that the locking hardware "key" wouldn't fit or something like that. :confused:

I'm just so lost. I really want basketweaves, and if I had those, then those have the center caps that would prevent someone from stealing them. On the other hand, any other rim I want to get have a high risk of being stolen because they don't have the center caps.

mooseheadm5

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-C...8749271QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Those might work, but I can't remember the length of the threaded portion. Just measure one of yours. They are definitely 60 degree taper (like BMW) but you should talk to someone at Tire Rack to see if the wheels use a taper or a ball lug. 15" 4 lug basketweaves are rare rare rare! I have older TSW 15" basketweaves on my 327i but they were from a Honda, so I had to machine out the center of the hub and they did not clear the brakes properly without spacers.

Elkoholic

Um, yeah, 15" 4-lug basketweaves are a biznatch to find nowadays...and they look so AMAZING...I considered the O.Z. Ultras until I stumbled upon some Ronal LS's (see associated post), which look so much more era-specific...which I like. But the Ronals are becoming harder and harder to locate, since they closed their U.S. branch...did I mention they were considerably cheaper than the Ultras? Like, by $100 a piece...

Check out www.ronalusa.com, and perhaps look into ordering them from their home country...if you decide on basketweaves, that is.

az3579

The Ronal USA web page doesn't work. Nothing loads. I think they're all done here...

I looked for Ronal wheels but didn't like any of the ones that I found. I think you have Ronal LS's? I couldn't find any of those.

I figure it's a lot more authentic and possibly cheaper to get the 15" baskets, which have the caps and won't need locking nuts for them. That's assuming everything works out in getting them here to me from Germany.

I called JC Whitney yesterday and they were saying something about needing measurements for the nut (thread length I think). There were some Gorilla-branded locking nuts (set of 16) that they had listed on their site but I would have to give them the part number that the manufacturer gave me when I order it so they can order them. The soonest I'd be able to have them is September!?

I was hoping there'd be some kind of readily available nuts that I could get somewhere. I found the price for Bavarian Auto's nuts to be outrageous for only 4 pieces ($59.99), but if that's the route I have to go to guarantee compatibility, then that's what I'm going to do.

Elkoholic

Sorry about that link...just checked it...FAIL. And BavAuto is TOTALLY overpriced when it comes to minor accessories/upgrades. But I still seem to use them anyway...hmmmmm...:rolleyes:

Good luck on the lug hunt...and ensuing wheel hunt/purchase.

bavomil

I have 2 sets of well used weaves. $40/rim. No charge for curb rash.
    No caps.

else not mine brand new from CL

mooseheadm5

He wants 15" wheels. Post yours in the for sale forum and I am sure someone will buy them.

az3579

I found locking lugs on eBay, BMW original part as well. I didn't know BMW made them...

They're for sale for $19.99, but I don't know how compatible they are with different rims. Should it matter? Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&item=170249492562&_trksid=p3907.m32

It shows a lot of different supported models, but I dunno if the "style" of the lug will affect anything. I remember talking to someone about it and he was saying there's a "straight" kind and an "acorn" style... I have no idea what the differences are. :confused:

mooseheadm5

Those will be just fine. They will work with any wheel that will take a 17mm head on the lug bolt, which I believe is any of the ones you have been looking at. I think those are made by McGuard.

Elkoholic

The shipping cost is RIDICULOUS.

az3579

It's not that bad. $9.05 to where I live ain't bad at all. Besides, it's still a helluva lot cheaper than ANY other wheel locks I found online. Most of them go for $59.99 +, not including shipping.

MGarrison

Whatever the heck you do... _don't_ lose the lock key! Had a student who lost at least 1 track session one day some years ago because he lost his lock key and couldn't swap out his wheel/tires and I think lucked out finding it later on. They are not something easy to overcome if you lose the key and you need to get the wheels off......

just fyi!

mooseheadm5

Actually, depending upon the type of wheel you have (and in this case, he has gotten OE BMW 15" basketweaves) us mechanics have access to a special tool for removing rounded bolts and nuts which works quite a treat on lost wheel lock keys. We have to use it all the time at the shop when owners lose their VW wheel lock keys.

az3579

Well, wheel locks are a bit unnecessary at the track. The chance of someone stealing something is very slim. I mean, Club Members don't steal from each other. :)
    (Just beware the other clubs! :D)

The baskets that I will hopefully soon have - those have the center caps, right? Is there a locking mechanism on them or is it just the cap and the special wrench for it? I remember seeing some wheels that were very similar. They had a cap as well but there was a little socket on it that you'd have to insert a tool for to get it off.

mooseheadm5

Factory caps are usually only twist to remove. The plastic ones can be pulled off by prying under the cap- not really that good at protecting them. The metal ones do require a twist to remove. Not sure what the wheels you won will have.

ecvchamp guest

i have the McGard locks and I had to grind a little off the outside of the key so it would go inside the wheel. No big deal.:D

Rickbee guest

I got my direct from the VOB BMW dealership in Rockville maryland and they were like 15 bucks for the box. i had no choice had one of my wheels stolen while at work the whole wheel lugs and all left it on a cinder block.